964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering pump question.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:25 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Power steering pump question.....

Hey guys im removing my power steering pump AGAIN. I have to replace the shaft seal and its also leaking out of the part where the 2 halves come together even though i put a new seal in a month ago. does anyone have any advice on how to keep it from leaking where the 2 halves come together???? And any tips on the shaft seal replacement???
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happed to me Jerry. Shaft seal got screwed up during the first installation. The tension spring came part way out of the seal. Leaked like a sieve.
The o-ring was fine, but I replaced it anyways since I went through the trouble to take everything apart again.
Just make sure you lube the shaft up real well, and put the pump on as straight as possible. If you **** it, it will stretch the seal and may damage it or displace the spring.
Also, make sure there are no burrs or rough edged on the shaft or housing. If so, some fine emory cloth will take them out.
Good luck.
Bill
Old 09-01-2008, 04:00 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Hey Thanks Bill. How did you get the shaft seal in, im thinking about putting a block of wood on it then tapping with a hammer or is there a better way???
Old 09-01-2008, 05:19 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You've reviewed this thread for any tidbits of info, yes?

And this DIY video?

Only two 'doh'-obvious things come immediately to mind:
Damage/scoring/dirt on the halves' sealing channel surfaces would defeat a good seal.
Also, is that shaft seal on with the 'cupped' side facing into the housing (facing the housing's internal pressure)?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:41 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I used some washers, front and back, and a nut and bolt. Then tightened it up to squeeze it in.
You will most likely mess up the seal, trying to hammer it in. The rubber surround will not let it pop in.

Quick Reply: Power steering pump question.....