Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Bypass Fitment Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:34 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Standing by...... still looks like a stretch, even with the donut. There is less than a 1/4" gap, with mine put together.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup... It fits... Just barely... But it fits. Ideally I'd like to have another 1/2" or so... It's too late to finish work on it tonight... I'll put it all back together tomorrow when I get off from work.

I was wondering how it would seal without something in there... But nothing fell out when I took it all apart. Say it with me.... "DUH!"

Bill... The muffler is loose... It actually goes back together a little closer than that... The spacer is just what I needed. With the muffler loose I can pull it down to close the gap. I have the cat and muffler together now... I just need to put the rest back together. I can hardly wait to drive it and hear the difference!

Last edited by Smokin; 09-01-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:24 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-01-2008, 11:46 AM
wsybert
Pro

I am considering the same modification. I have a magnaflo as the primary and no secondary. Any way you could get a sound clip?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:22 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chodaboy
I ran into similar problem when i changed mine. What it turned out to be was a coupling ring (about 1.5" thick) that fits btw the cat and the primary muffler (out the back end of the cat) . When I took the cat off, the coupling ring went with it. After much fussing, somehow I was able to see that that coupling ring comes off (needed a screwdriver and a hammer to tap it out of far end of cat)... If you can't locate, I will help you with parts diagram...
Hope that helps...
Old 09-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Well... It's all back together... I ended up loosening the front four bolts so I could get a good fit on the rear. OMFG!!! The sound at idle doesn't seem that much different. But when you open it up... She roars! Since I had to reset the DME I figured I would need to take it out for a 30 minute spin. I have a "DME Reset Route" for when I reset my DME. On the way back... I was coming up on some of the boy racers and their rice rocket motorcycles. They were doing wheelies at 75 mph and speeding upwards of 100 mph. They slowed downed and exited the highway. There was nobody else on the road so I figured I would punch it. I swear it felt like when I hit 5k through 7k rpm that I could pull back on the steering wheel and do wheelies myself! My little toy has noticeably more pull from 4k through 7k rpm... And the sound is SWEET!

Hmmmm... How to get a sound clip. You figure I could just plug in a mic into my laptop to get it? That would get the sound inside the cabin. Or are you looking for revving the engine sounds? Or both?

Edit - I love the look of the Vertex cat bypass and it seems to be made very well... But they must not have an accurate jig when they put these together. I decided to install the outer and under heat shields as I didn't want it radiating heat over to my rear tire. I needed to Dremel out one of the holes and enlarge the rest with a drill bit so I could get the screws to fit. It worked and it looks stock for the most part but it was a pain in the *** to get it to work.
Old 09-02-2008, 01:52 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I experienced much easier exhaust joint connections after Dremmel-sanding the surface carbon/rust/gunk off the doughnut, tube flare interiors, and clamp.
(All surfaces slid over each other with no binding.)

In this regard, the rotary scotch-brite wheels worked fast & safe.

Last edited by elbeee964; 09-16-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Actually the seating surfaces of the donut were pretty clean... Though I should have probably done as you suggest. The issue was the length of the cat bypass. It came in a little shorter than the stock cat. I ended up loosening the 4 bolts up fron just a little and that allowed me to get a really good bite and seal up the donnut. There was just enough room for everything to be tightened down.

It was another learning experience and I am glad I finally bought one. it sounds SO much better!
Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Loosen the muffler straps when you put in the dough nut and tighten all of it back up together.

Car might sound good, but the environment hates you now.

Oh well had to pipe in a tree hugger comment. Living in CA we can't alter the exhaust. Land of tree huggers you know.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:53 AM
DanielT
Instructor

sure you can modify the exhaust in CA. You just need to make sure that the Cat/s stay in place in some form.
I did a Gpipe on my C2 just a few weeks ago. doesn't change the car's ability to pass smog test or visual.

but if you live in CA and do the Cat bypass, you better hope the local constabulary that pulls you over doesn't know about Porsches, and what their exhaust systems are supposed to look like.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:06 AM
wsybert
Pro

Hmmmm... How to get a sound clip. You figure I could just plug in a mic into my laptop to get it? That would get the sound inside the cabin. Or are you looking for revving the engine sounds? Or both?
Anything you can get, just want to hear it... I am debating on mine now and am afraid it may be too loud.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it important to re-set the DME if the cat has been removed, in fact with any exhaust system modification?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:20 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Yes... It is. You want the DME to relearn things the way they are now.

Bill... I'll shoot for a sound clip tomorrow... I have the day off!

And by the way... I truly appreciate everyone's input on this!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:19 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Rick, have you noticed a few drops of water leaking out of the joint after start up? I had to undo both ends (I replaced the primary with a cup pipe) and despite lining up the olives and clamps as best as I could see and tightening them up really well, I get some water drips until it's all warmed up properly.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Low 964
Pro

I put in by pass as well,and have cup pipe, the joint between the 2 isnt great and Im sure some exhaust exits from it....will check over winter.
Whats this about resetting DME????
I reconnected the wires that were on the old cat...what should I have done.
My cars not over loud, with cat by pass, cup pipe,dansk secondary, open filter....have considered G pipe as well as cup....just to see, any one got a link to a sound bite....
There is one on Fab speed site.

Quick Reply: Cat Bypass Fitment Issue