Sponsored by:

Camber Plates Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 11:25 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Camber Plates Question

I was looking under the hood today and noticed that the camber adjustment on my camber plates are not equal on both sides. Should these things be pretty much equal or does it vary?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

What is important is that the camber on each wheel is the same -There is an adjustment on the lower part of the shock - which is the standard adjustment for setting caamber - the camber plates allow for additional adjustment and an easier way to do it - I would have the camber checked while there adjust both plates to the same position and then reset the camber
Old 08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

OK I had the car aligned a couple of months ago. I'm just afraid that one of the plates slipped. We have pretty rough roads around here so I guess thats not out of the question.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:07 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

front subframe might be off center?
Old 08-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Ok - IF it slipped you need to have the camber checked just to put your mind at rest -
If it looks like plate has moved a lot you may be able to find this ourself with just a carpenters level. Park your car on a level area left to right especially - use a short level, one shorter than the tire is tall - if you can only fid one that is too short - 12 inch or so - use a straight flat narrow board that span from the top of the rim to the bottom - or from the top of the tire to the bottom - Place the level straight up and down the tire and note the bubble position - go to the other side - the bubble position should be very close to the same position
on both sides - if there is a little variation the camber is different - This is not a fail safe system but it will give you an idea - check the rear tires to see if the reading is close, just to double check yourself. Once you get the camber adjust and the camber plates back to normal position - mark each camber plate nut/bolt and location of the camber plate with a product with called TORQUE SEAL - ( an Anti-Sabotoge Inspector Laquer) comes in a tube in various colors - Is really allows you to put a small line of paint across the nut, bolt or plate to see if it has moved. This way you can look at th plate and tell if it has shifted or not. Most aviation hardware providers carry - Good luck
Old 08-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gus
Ok - IF it slipped you need to have the camber checked just to put your mind at rest -
If it looks like plate has moved a lot you may be able to find this ourself with just a carpenters level. Park your car on a level area left to right especially - use a short level, one shorter than the tire is tall - if you can only fid one that is too short - 12 inch or so - use a straight flat narrow board that span from the top of the rim to the bottom - or from the top of the tire to the bottom - Place the level straight up and down the tire and note the bubble position - go to the other side - the bubble position should be very close to the same position
on both sides - if there is a little variation the camber is different - This is not a fail safe system but it will give you an idea - check the rear tires to see if the reading is close, just to double check yourself. Once you get the camber adjust and the camber plates back to normal position - mark each camber plate nut/bolt and location of the camber plate with a product with called TORQUE SEAL - ( an Anti-Sabotoge Inspector Laquer) comes in a tube in various colors - Is really allows you to put a small line of paint across the nut, bolt or plate to see if it has moved. This way you can look at th plate and tell if it has shifted or not. Most aviation hardware providers carry - Good luck
This is pretty much what I already did and it seems the same on both sides. However I'm nut sure if I could tell within a degree or two. Dammit! Off to get the alignment checked.

Quick Reply: Camber Plates Question