Sponsored by:

windscreen seal too small?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default windscreen seal too small?

I have just had a new windscreen (non original screen but reputable supplier) and new seal fitted to my 1990 C4 (new rubber from Pelican)

Now the rubber seems to be falling back into the windscreen recess -- it seems the rubber is not big enough to come out over the bodywork or perhaps the windscreen is too small?

It is most noticeable across the top edge -- about 30% of the rubber has fallen back into the recess at various places.

Along the bottom you can see where the rubber is about 1/8 inch "shorter" than the previous line on the paint where the rubber used to be.

Has anybody experienced this problem before?

Could I have an undersized/wrong windscreen?

Could I have the wrong windscreen rubber seal?

All help appreciated.

Michael Gibney
Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new OE screen and seal fitted and one of the top corners always seems to fall back into the recess, but that is the only spot. Not sure why it does it. Was going to squirt in some windscreen sealer to hold it up.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:20 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Had my windshield replaced last year and used a Pelican-sourced gasket.

While somewhat close to falling back in in spots, my installer worked the windshield+gasket around to make a more uniform gasket/frame overlay around the perimeter. A friend of mine was having his RSA re-windshield'd the following week. He had a spot of difficulty (as you are), but the installer (same guy, btw!) made it right eventually. (I think with some additional sealant? He gave mine a final gasket-supporting squirt, as well, from what I recall.)

Did your installer apply the gasket sealant? (To both the windshield and body sides of the gasket?)

If not, position readjustment may do the trick. (Followed, of course, by the req'd gasket sealant application...)
If so, perhaps some additional sealant goo under the collapsing area may do the trick.

Since that's the answer in both cases: sealant is probably your solution, here.

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

okay -- thanks guys forr those ccommments -- it might be a more common problem than I thought -- it may be that I will have to try the repositioning and then the resealing to try and get the best job from what I have got.

But that makes me think -- can you use the 993 rubber and if so will it do a better job? Does anybody know the answer to that question?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, the 993 glass is larger than the 964 and the seal is specific to it. Think some owners have put 993 glass/seal into their 964s? I thought the 993 had problems with random windscreen cracks; result of the tighter fitting glass?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

You might have ended up with a 911 Carrera - '89 vintage windshield - does it have the radio antanna imbedded in the windshield?. Those windshields are a bit smaller than the 964 windshields. If that's what ou edned up with, you can order the seal and trim for pre '90 vintage cars and it will fit.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

The screen does have the radio wire in it so I think it is the correct screen.

But earlier another installer (local to here in Sale -- the small town where I live) said they could do the screen for about $350 AU and they ordered the screen and when they fitted it it was too small (and it did have the radio wire in it) so they put my old screen back (with several big cracks!) and I had to drive 2 1/2 hours to Melbourne to get the correct screen fitted at Jim Cairns workshop -- a well known independent Porsche shop but it cost $1000 AU -- ouch! But as said the rubber has fallen into the recess - it irks me so I might order an original Porsche rubber and have it reinstalled and see what happens and when they have the screen out measure it and then post the dimensions on here - because it will be interesting to see if someone can confirm if I have the correct screen.

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 AM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Windshield installation - difficulty w/ antenna wire?

My windshield should be replaced, due to a heavy dose of road rash. But, I hate to take the risk of having a nicely fitted original replaced with a poorly fitting replacement. And, there is the question of the antenna wire and connection. Will my installer know what to do with the wire connection, and how much disassembly of the dash, etc. needs to be done to properly reconnect the wire? I just want my installer to be proper informed before he touches my car.
As an alternative, does anyone have experience with having someone polish the glass to remove the small marks and pits and streaks from the wipers?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The installer should be able to handle the antenna wire fine without disassembling the dash.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:58 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
The installer should be able to handle the antenna wire fine without disassembling the dash.
Si.
Do your homework among the brethren for trusted/experienced 911 window installers in the Indy area.
Find one and things will be OOOH-tay!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Michael Gibney
Racer

I watched the installer do the job and the wire did not seem to be too dificult - just a "be careful job" -- a little bit of soldering to put a connection on the windscreen wire and then the putting together of the connectors as the windscreen was sitting in place but not all the way into place.

The screw on cover at the front of the dash that easily comes away seems to give very good access to the bottom edge of the screen which as I recall was a PITA on my 75 911

Quick Reply: windscreen seal too small?