ASh tray pops open qat random.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:58 PM
lapu01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASh tray pops open qat random.

Hi,
This may sound like a silly post, but after I had a new stereo installed in my car, the ash tray pops open. This may not sound like a major problem, but as a former smoker it really annoys me. I have checked hinges etc., everything looks ok. Any good ideas/solutions?
Lars
Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM
breale01
Racer

Similar problem encountered. Difference is that once I open it, it's extremely difficult to get closed again. Seems to be related to a track mechanism on the right side that becomes misaligned.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Lars, my tray latching system 'broke' once. It wasn't a random event, though -- it was just plain broke. It was only caused by the tray latching mechanism running out side of it's (latch mechanism's) groove.
(It's a little pawl-in-running-groves mechanism on one side of the ash tray.)
If that's your problem, too, I reinstalled mine into its groove with a flashlight and a slim, tiny screwdriver blade, 'helping' (prying) it back into that groove.

...Or it's the wicked cigarette elves luring you back into the their clutches.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

...nothing that a good Mig Welder can't fix!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM
lapu01
Advanced

haha, very funny, but I'm sure that the dashboard would look like a Dali painting afterwards.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

After Fabios issues, this is a breath of fresh air...

Bend the metal a little to make more pressure on the top of the opening. That should take care of it. Cheers!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:01 AM
walterj
Intermediate

I neatly solved this by stuffing the XM radio reciever between the tunnel and ashtray. The next best idea was the MIG welder
Old 08-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My C2 had this problem, and it was due to wear in the plastic peg in the latch mechanism. I repaired it by replacing the plastic peg with a metal pin.

.. Gregg
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lapu01
Hi,
Any good ideas/solutions?
Lars
Two words: Duct tape.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:50 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I keep my cell phone in mine.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Breale01 is spot on - The track is on the right side of the tray - the guide that fits inot the track to determines opening position and hold it closed is inside the ashtray opening on the inside surface on the right side - The issue is that the short **** comes out of the track and the tray falls open - The fix is to increase the length of the short know that fits into the tack by using a MIG welder - Well it just sounded good - you need to disassemble the whole ashtray so you can get access to the side that has the **** on it - and very carefully drill a small hole through the back side exactly where the **** is - but no larger than the **** diameter - then screw a short (SMALL) screw through the hole and extend it about a 1/8 of and inch beyond the length of the old know - this will allow it to stay in the track. Check and then put back to getehr - You may need to file down the screw head some to get it so fit back in - I decided that after the repair it was a job that took longer than it was worth - The MIG welder still sounds good -
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM
surfdog4
Instructor

how did you dismantle the ashtray? I have the same problem, but when i tried to remove the ashtray it didn't want to come out easliy..so i didn't want to force it
Old 04-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I thought I would revive this thread with an easier fix for the ashtray cover.

Pull the ashtray cover out of the dash, there are two screws holding it in place behind the metal cover and it will slide right out. Take care as there’s a light bulb tucked into the back of the ash tray, I didn’t know this as my bulb was dead.

Once removed you’ll see a small arm on the right side that has a nub on the end which is what wears out. Since mine wasn’t making contact with the track I pushed it out of the tray (compression fitting which can be pushed using a screw driver).

Once out I used a lighter to heat the arm and pliars to create a slight bend in the plastic to allow the nub to make contact again. Reinstalled it and it works perfectly.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 04-01-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:31 AM
jimholden
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Help I need a source for the swing arm on the side of the ash tray Mine is mangled
Old 04-29-2019, 03:58 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by jimholden
Help I need a source for the swing arm on the side of the ash tray Mine is mangled
Just call dc auto and grab a used ashtray. You won't find just that swingarm until someone makes a 3d printed version. I wish someone would upload one to shapeways and we could have to option to print in plastic or metal. I would replace mine w metal in a heartbeat. So sick of those things breaking.

Quick Reply: ASh tray pops open qat random.