Sponsored by:

Weird Clutch Pedal Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Clutch Pedal Issue

So I bled my brakes a couple of weeks ago. Not the slave cylinder, just the calipers. Like I've done numerous times. I pumped them after I got through, adjusted the level in the master cylinder to the max line, then backed the car up and pulled it into the parking spot. Last night, the 1st time I've driven it since the brake bleed, I go to start it up and...I can't find the clutch pedal! Turns out it was all the way on the floorboard. I reach in and pull it up (it came up fairly easily) and it stays up just fine. Drove it around with no issue. I double checked the master cylinder and the fluid level was still at the max mark.
I have to think this is some way related to my brake bleed. Is it possible it had air in the line and that made the clutch pedal fall to the floor?
That was sort of strange as I sit there counting pedals and wondering if I had mistakenly converted it to an automatic in my sleep or something.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:36 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

iirc that is a sign of either a failing master or slave. I just replaced both in a chase for a clutch engagment problem, and neither are really all that hard to replace, or that expensive. The master requires you perform like a gymnast, and the slave is an all left handed job, but a couple of hours and some fluid is all you need other than the fluid. Good luck. If you replace the slave, replace the line that goes to the slave also.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Rennen
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It could also be that you inadvertantly let the fluid level in the brake reservoir drop too low. The take-off for the clutch slave is well above the bottom of the reservoir and can get air in it even when there appears to be plenty of fluid in the reservoir. I would personally try bleeding the clutch slave before going for a replacement.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:01 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

I think I'll bleed the slave cylinder. It's on my open trailer now, so should be pretty easy to get to. That makes sense because it has happen the 1st time I drive it after bleeding the brakes. Now to find my 7mm wrench.

Quick Reply: Weird Clutch Pedal Issue