Leather Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:47 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Leather Treatment?

Hello There

How do you treat the leather in your car? With what leather product and any specific method?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:15 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to use liquid leather from gliptone? when I had leather.

Apply the cleaner with a soft nail brush and then use the conditioner with a soft cloth and leave to soak in.

Stinks like real leather, depending how much you used could sometimes become a bit over powering.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I have had good luck using Lexol Leather cleaner and conditioners. I typically use it twice a year. Its pretty easy to use, just follow the instructions on the bottles.

No affiliations.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tip.

So it doesn't mean anything if I use 'BMW Leather care'? (http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/media/BMWleather.jpg)

Anyway, there is a little wear and tear at my left seat (very little!), possible to get rid of this?
Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 AM
lapu01
Advanced

Hey, I used some nano-stuff called Sonax Xtreme on my car when i bought it. Very easy to use and not very labour intensive, afterwards the seats looked almost new. Now I am considering trying to use it on my wife as well.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Keep in mind your stock leather's (seats, interior) exposed surface isn't leather, but plastic film.

Treat it the same as you would your dash plastic and you'll be fine.

A nice, uber-soft, effective treatment would be Aerospace 303.
Water soluble, non-filming (I believe) and what the concourse volk use on their plastic bits.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leatherique works well for me. It removed whatever plastic covering was over my leather. It's a two step process with cleaner and conditioner. You put it on and leave it in the sun to heat it up. Seems to do the job.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:29 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Keep in mind your stock leather's (seats, interior) exposed surface isn't leather, but plastic film.

Treat it the same as you would your dash plastic and you'll be fine.

A nice, uber-soft, effective treatment would be Aerospace 303.
Water soluble, non-filming (I believe) and what the concourse volk use on their plastic bits.

Are you saying that my religious use of leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats have been wasteful activities since they are covered in plastic?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
Are you saying that my religious use of leather cleaner and conditioner on the seats have been wasteful activities since they are covered in plastic?
Yah, I want to know as well.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Me to...I don't even know what people are talking about anymore!...Seats covered in plastic? - I don't get it?

Last edited by Vifa; 08-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

I am wondering if it is kind of like the plastic seat covers at grandma's house
Old 08-05-2008, 02:27 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on leatherique.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by parsecnc4
Not meaning to start anyone's jihad, 'religion'-wise -- but yeah -- only the leather's tiny perforations received any of that 'leather' cleaner/conditioner's benefit.

Elsewhere on our factory leather any real leather cleaner/conditioner (like saddle soap) is as well applied to your plastic door pull as to the seat material. (Hey, a long time ago I, too, applied that Connolly rendered fat to my 3.2 Carrera's seats )

Edit: Now maybe they're marketing a perfectly fine seat leather-plastic care product as a "leather" conditioner/cleaner. I got no problem with that -- The public wants to call it "leather conditioner/cleaner", then that's what we'll call it. i.e., If your current stuff works for you -- use it!

Most all the leather out there (Mercedes, bimmers, audi, nippon, US) is such plastic coated stuff.
Real deal raw leather (like that of a saddle) is a fairly rare bird, auto-wise; mostly found on the high-zoot stuff like a Maser I once sat in at an auto show.
Like the definition of ****: you know it when you see it.

I was told one easy test is water or oil wicking. (drop it on: does it soak in?)
I use my own touch test: (Does it *really* feel like a baseball glove or saddle? when I scratch it with my fingernail, does it leave an easy mark?)

My meager education on the topic recalls that our factory leather is split between it's original surfaces... the newly exposed 'split surface' is left raw (breathable) and will become the hidden/foam-side/glued surface upon installation. The leather's original 'smooth, exterior' surface is given the plastic coating. And it's the side the customer will touch.

Of course, I may be full of 3 state's fertilizer. Do a short search in one of the fussier forums around here, like car-care/concourse, and you'll likely vindicate my credibility... or my bs tonnage.
Report back with what ya find!

Last edited by elbeee964; 08-05-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

One thing I know, is that the upper part of the dash board was in some hot countries 'not' leather at all. Spain or Italy were too hot so cars built for that countries were not fitted with the 'leather'.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

I have recently given my seats a leather treatment, and I have to say, plastic or not, they feel more soft now. Also, I think they gonna last longer if you give them some kind of leather treatment once or twice per year, than if you don't do it.

Anyway. talking about leather treatments, how to recover the seats original blue color? I have a place which is a litte bit grey because of use. Can I get the blue color back again?

Quick Reply: Leather Treatment?