Replacing rear window in a cab.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 04:31 PM
lapu01
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear window in a cab.

hey,
I am going to replace the rear window in my 964/cab. It is cracked, yellow and so on. Do I have any other options than just putting in another plastic window? How long will it last? Are there different modesl/versions?
thanks,
Lars
1991 964 c2/Cab, Schwartz
Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

My cab's rear window began to separate from the canvas back in 1996 (6 years old). After talking to my local PCA, they recommended a shop. I talked with the owner who had seen that failure before. He said that if I had come in sooner when the seams were just starting to unravel, that he could have had it resewn. But since I waited too long, that I needed to replace the whole top. Ouch! He gave me two options, the factory top or a US-made top. I asked for his recommendation, he said the US-top was better because it had nylon thread instead of cotton thread. I took his advice. 12 years later, my top still looks great. I apply the Porsche Cabrio top protectant each year to the canvas and also use plastic polish to keep the rear window clean and clear.

Is there other options? Some people prefer the look of the 993 cab top and install those instead.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM
1303RS
Racer

The plastic window is your only choice. There is not a glass window conversion. The length that it lasts is up to you. If you use a plastic detailer on it to keep it from drying out and open and close the top when the plastic window is warm it will last a long time. I tell my customers this all the time. They never knew about letting the top and window get warm before using. This will prolong the life of the top and rear window.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:50 AM
lapu01
Advanced

oK, so I really don't have a choice but to replace the whole top? This really sucks, as the rest of the top looks really good except for the rear window. I tried some stuff from Renovo in the UK that came with the set that i use for the whole top, but it didn't help. Can I try to use the detailer that you (1303RS) mention or is it too late when the window is yellowis and look like crap?
rgds,
Lars
Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Is replacing the whole top your only choice? It depends on the condition of the top and rear window. I recommend you take the car to a professional and get their recommendation. You may be lucky, who knows? It can't hurt to ask.

In my case, the in addition to the rear window stitching unraveling, the shop noticed that some of the other seams were starting to fail too. I'm glad I didn't spend money to fix the window only to have to replace the entire top soon after. If it helps, the shop I used is Bascom Trim & Upholstery. No affiliations.

Good luck.

Edit: It also can't hurt to try to use some plastic polish to see how much you can make clear again. In the past, I have had good luck with Novus polish but lately I have been using Griots Garage polish. The Novus works well too but my local store stopped carrying it. Again no affiliations
Old 07-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Peter Serbanica
Track Day

If you have a 964, the top is in 2 sections. Rear section must be removed for plastic to be removed. Window should always be unzipped while lowering top pre1995. Close zipper before closing top header.

You can also purchase the rear section of top seprately from WWW.GAHH.com
Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
If it helps, the shop I used is Bascom Trim & Upholstery. No affiliations.
Rob - thanks for posting the name of this shop as I had forgotten it and was unable to find them through a Google search....

When I lived in the SF Bay area (2000 timeframe), I checked these guys out *just in case* my Speedster top had any issues. These guys are truly top notch, and I was surprised to learn how well respected they are, not only in the bay area, but also throughout the US. With your information, I plan to take my Speedster to them next summer for a look-over...

-Blake
Old 07-07-2008, 05:09 PM
1303RS
Racer

lapu1,
The cleaner I spoke of is Mequiars Clear plastic detailer and Meguiars clear plastic cleaner. You said your top was in great condition, you can have a shop sew in a new window for you. I do this when I can to save people some money instead of ordering a new top.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

1303's right.
From my Miata days [] convertible rear window yellowing/clouding had one pat answer among the membership:
  • [*]
  • [*]
"The cleaner is the best way to remove dirt and grime from your plastic window. The polisher is nothing short of amazing -- it goes on as a cream and removes the scratches that make your window look filmy."

They also make a #18, which is a cleaner & polisher. (And probably goes good on a hot dog, too.)

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:03 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The other cleaner which is great and I have used on my Bimmers for years is Plexus. It doesn't remove scratches, but it does a fantastic job (especially with a clean micro-fiber towel) on cleaning the window. It will take a cloudy dirty window and make it crystal clear.

Quick Reply: Replacing rear window in a cab.