Sponsored by:

PDF manuals

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDF manuals

964 Workshop Manual

Last edited by Bill Gregory; 06-27-2008 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Posting material or links to material violating copyrights is not allowed.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:58 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link!

Doc
Old 06-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Uber 911

For those who moderate this site and deleted the link to the PDF's files, if you took the time to look you will find the the files are read only and you cant print them. That complies with copyright law in the UK and the US.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:52 PM
kurquhart
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 964 Tip UK
... the files are read only and you cant print them.
That is a dubious claim, at best. If I can view them on my computer, then I can save a copy and/or print them, even if I have to resort to screen captures.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:04 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Porsche protects it's intellectual property very seriously. By posting any links to anything that is not on the Porsche site, that is Copyrighted by Porsche, opens Rennlist up to big trouble.

Pelican parts had a system which used images of the PET, and they had to take it down after a cease and desist order. And they were generating revenue for Porsche! It's their business, and they chose to protect it.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:53 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I noticed that missing from Pelican a few weeks ago. It really helped me to look for parts. Now I just go to Dc automotive and they have the same thing. Copy and paste to Pelican check it out.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Danz C4
Instructor

"...For those who moderate this site and deleted the link to the PDF's files, if you took the time to look you will find the the files are read only and you cant print them. That complies with copyright law in the UK and the US..."

Nope, no way you can legally copy, post and distribute copyrighted material. As well, downloading and keeping those files on your PC puts you in violation of copyright laws. This is no different than "sharing" music with your friends. Remember Napster? This is not just my opinion. Google around.

In any case, there are lots of free PDF password delete and reset applications on the web. It's easy to override the password and print, copy, and modify those files.

The difference is, if you bought and paid for an original of that service manual, you can copy and print whatever you want for you own use. Notice the key words here are "..paid for...", and ".. own use...".

Oh, in case you are wondering, yes, they know who was in there and what you downloaded. When Porsche gets around to shutting that guy down, good chance you will get a not so polite message from Porsche legal telling you to delete whatever you have on your PC. I'd do it now.

Danz C4
Old 06-29-2008, 05:39 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

It's on Pelican right now. I searched and got parts listing for both my 993 S and 964 RS? I just went to the site and printed seven pages for my 993?
Old 06-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Oracle
Pro

Originally Posted by Danz C4
When Porsche gets around to shutting that guy down, good chance you will get a not so polite message from Porsche legal telling you to delete whatever you have on your PC.
There is no way anyone can force you to delete files. The lawyers would love to have this power... I don`t see them wasting their time with the small fish.. not even the sharks in the RIA go for the small fish.

The problem with Napster is that they hosted the files.. Things like torrent are not breaking any laws (technically) for as long as you don`t have the whole file.

And even if you have the whole file you`re still not breaking any lawys because when you surf the web any image is cached on your local drive so you`re breaking the law by just reading...

The website in question is registered in the .uk domain that has less red tape than in the .com domain eventhough the owner of the domain has a US registration address.

Copyrighted material clash with todays sharing of media, google being no 1 along with youtube and wiki...
Old 06-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Uber 911

Danz, your confusing apples with oranges... There is a huge difference between a bunch of PDF files for a car thats not been manufactured for 14 years(1) and music. Artists receive royalty payments for mechanical sales and thats what ASCAP got itself in a faff about with Napster, Porsche do not collect royalties on mechanical sales of manuals or use 3rd parties to do so.

As I said because the source has gone to the effort of protecting the files demonstrates good faith in protecting copyright, your suggestion of roaming the web for tools to unlock the PDF's is no different to finding code to unlock DVD's and that is illegal.

The boundary being traversed here is copyright 'fair use', its a thin line that in this context - a private non profit forum leans toward fair use. Pelican, by contract could have issues because its a commercial operation, however Porsche will not bother with a marginal issue such as this; a) there is no case and b) they have way bigger problems... like sales down 20%.

(1)Fair enough 70% of all Porsche's manufactured are still on the road!

Last edited by Uber 911; 06-30-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

f*ck copyright laws .... all that crap is absolute bull****

Last edited by canuck964; 06-30-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 AM
IanR
Racer

Originally Posted by atcbi5
It's on Pelican right now. I searched and got parts listing for both my 993 S and 964 RS? I just went to the site and printed seven pages for my 993?
This is probably the PDF version of the Porsche PET parts catalogue, which is available free of charge from the Porsche website here - https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/index.jsp. Thw workshop manual is copyrighted, and as far as I know, Porsche have never allowed a free download of this.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:00 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Not to get off topic from the copyright law discussion - but thanks for posting a link to the PET Ian! I couldn't find it on Porsche's website under the "Classic" section and didn't know where else to look.

Quick Reply: PDF manuals