Sponsored by:

Engine Sound Absorbing pad support

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Sound Absorbing pad support

A while ago, Jimq submitted an idea to keep the engine sound pad from falling down. He used a piece of aluminum to create a flat support to hold up the middle of the pad. Since my engine is out and my pad was toast, (it would crumble in my hands) I decided to replace it. While I was installing a new pad, I modified his support idea for a custom fit from end to end. The pad has an unusual shape at the top to follow the contours of the engine cover. I custom fit a piece of .032 2024 T3 aluminum I had left over from an airplane I built. I made a cardboard pattern shaping it along the contours and around the hood hinges. I enlarged the holes for the (new) plastic nuts to allow for the angle of the threaded studs. Here are some pictures of the finished product. It sure looks so much better with the new pad and now it should stay in place. Too bad you can't see it after the engine goes in.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:44 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Awesome !
Old 06-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Man that is fantastic. You could sell those.

I did the same thing with just a plain piece strip of aluminum.

What tools did you have to do to form it like that? I may want to redo one like yours at some point.

Cheers.

RT
Old 06-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Since it is a one off prototype, I used tin snips and some specialty aircraft tools. but bent the aluminum by hand, drilled with a pilot hole then a step drill. It's pretty easy to do. I should have made a pattern before I put it on. I wonder if the threaded studs are in exactly the same places on every car? If there is a lot interest, I could make a few up...after I finish putting my engine back in.

Quick Reply: Engine Sound Absorbing pad support