Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL / limp mode- down on power - Question??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Default CEL / limp mode- down on power - Question??

The last autoX I ran I had my check engine light (CEL) come on during a run. The next run was slower and I noticed that the engine did not come on the power at 3400 RPM as it had before - my time was also slower -
I had replaced the O2 sensor about a week before and the car was running great -Now it is as if the chip has been erased and I am running on a flat chart for gas feed from the injectors. The car runs it just does not have that power punch at mid RPM range
Anybody have any ideas on the problem - how to solve - Need some ideas-
Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

That O2 sensor and the dizzy belt come to mind.
(Doubt the DME would be so kind.)
Old 06-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Lonnie- thanks - figured I might as well start with what I replaced first - "Dizzy" belt I checked right out of the box as that was my first thought only one plug firing - but was OK -
How is Suffolk now - I ran my first SCCA race there at the old WWII airport - probably does not even exist now-
Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Suffolk's fine. I like the area. But I'm the newest of newbies to the area. So it could be great or grate to your best recollections and I wouldn't be able to tell you the difference.
Same w/ tracks in the area. The only one I've taken in is VIR. And to it, too -- the newest of newbies.
Someone brilliant should be along shortly with an idea, or two, re your symptoms.

Till then, hang in there.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

There are numerous sensors and actuators that can account for power loss. Cylinder head temperature sensors falsely reporting "very hot" will trigger limp-home mode.

Far quicker than checking each sensor and actuator is reading the diagnostic codes. Porsche did not provide procedures or easy access for troubleshooting the old fashioned way. I have the scantool and software if you want to make a trip to Mid Town. Perhaps someone closer can help out.

Quick Reply: CEL / limp mode- down on power - Question??