Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extreme Problem urgent help request

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:37 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've had two, well respected, indy's overfill my car!
Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as what damage, if any, can be done by overfilling. That's up for discussion. Not being a mechanic, I'll take a layman stab at it. Others please step in and correct me.
I think if it's high enough to blow out of the air filter system, it can damage a sensor (maybe MAF?) whose name escapes me now. there's a DYI to replace that currently unnamed sensor on this very site. If that happens, you get a CEL.
That's about the worse that will happen. You could blow white smoke and have a very sloppy messy right side of your engine bay.
I would think long term it would definitely be bad. For for just a day or 2 until you figure it out and take some oil out, I think you'd be OK.
One's things for sure, you will be in some fine company
Old 06-17-2008, 02:15 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PORKERINO
Thanks,
Initially whan engine was running, there was no temp showing on the oil temp gauge, now I recall that when things were 'hellbound' the oil temp gauge was showing 'max'
Thanks and awaiting your thoughts.....

Thanks
Porkerino
I sincerely think that you are confusing the oil level with the temp gauge. No offense here, we all were confused! When the engine is running there is always some of temp readout. What does not show and its below red is the oil leve gauge. When is at max, you have overfilled.
I have had my share of overfills, oil sputting everywhere. Learned my lesson.
Good luck, I really hope it was just an overfill.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM
PORKERINO
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sal 965
Slightly getting away from the original post but i seem to remember when I looked, albeit last year, into exporting my car to Australia that you had to have been the keeper for two years before you could export it as a personal possession. Did you checked into this before you bought the car or have the rules changed.

I know quite a few people have exported cars to Australia on here and i vaguely remember that the the checks on the car and the requirements are quite rigid in regard to OEM equipment.

Maybe time for a few detail checks.

I'm sorry if this adds to your woes.
Hi Steve,
Yes, I am aware of the requirement of having owned the car for ONE year prior to shipping, however there is a way... what the current rules say is that Min. 1 year as a personal effects shipment, and the other way is that the car has to be manufactured prior to 1 January 1989 (what they call a unrestricted import), at least this is what I know having spoken to the very helpful people at DOTARS (vehicle imports section Aus). Please let me know what your mates said about the OEM bit if you can find out (hopefully this will better inform me as to what I am about to do)
Thanks
PORKER
Old 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

+1 on the flatbed to a mechanic.

If you've ruled out overfilling the oil, and unless you've had experience with a 911, this is too much to troubleshoot. The first sew posts were obviously hoping on hope that it was as simple as overfilling, which is a common new 911 owner mistake.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:07 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Any news yet on the source of the problem?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:18 PM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

+1
Hows this going?

Phil
Old 07-02-2008, 02:08 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by pat056
Any news yet on the source of the problem?
+1 What ended up being the problem??
Old 07-16-2008, 07:03 PM
DogInBlack
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey porker, did you already punch out to AU or what?

What ended up being the problem?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 AM
PORKERINO
Intermediate

Hi Everyone,
Sorry for not having replied to your questions (almost 7 months back!!)
glad to finally be able to reply to this thread, and many thanks once again to those who have helped me out thus far... A few days after posting my last reply the removals people came along (much earlier then booked)and cleared the London homested for shipping our worldly posessions all the way 'down under'
As for my earlier nightmare regarding the overfill issues etc... the people who tried to rectify this made a wild dash for my already stretched wallet and did a fantastic 'stageplay' about what was wrong with my car (without going into details that I would rather forget, they convinced me that had I stepped foot in the car and so much as cranked the engine, the whole car would have fallen apart and that it had major issues.. they knew I had to ship the car to Australia and it was to picked up by the shipping agents as I had left the UK) Their verbal estimate to fix the problem was appx. £3000, only for them to present me an e-mailed bill for £8900 !!! and the best part was that I had to pay up as the shippers were due to pick the car and load it onto the container!!) I truely believe that I was 'had' by these people.
Rant over...
Now the good news is that my 'baby' is sitting in the garage (already having passed the 'Australian Complience formalities - found a brilliant company here in Brisbane who handled the whole process for a very reasonable price coupled with an A1 service. I will gladly recommend them to anyone- Just drop me a message for their details) I will be taking the car down for the registration next week.
A couple of technical difficulties that need to be overcome in the meantime....
Car starts fine, but will switch off after approximately 3-4 minutes and then will not start until another 1 hour or so later! Please suggest possible causes so I can fix her up by next week.
Does any one have a photograph of the area behind the brake master cylinder (930 - 1986 model) from the two blowers at the footwell there are no hoses connecting to the blower motor in the cargo compartment and indeed the windscreen demister vents etc, and I need to connect this part of the system (have no Idea where all these bits went!)
Many Many thanks to all once again.....
Porker
Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 AM
Twood
Racer

Welcome to Australia.
Hope to hear from you and will introduce you to the local Porsche club if you have not aready been there.
cheers Ken
Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PORKERINO

As for my earlier nightmare regarding the overfill issues etc... the people who tried to rectify this made a wild dash for my already stretched wallet and did a fantastic 'stageplay' about what was wrong with my car (without going into details that I would rather forget, they convinced me that had I stepped foot in the car and so much as cranked the engine, the whole car would have fallen apart and that it had major issues.. they knew I had to ship the car to Australia and it was to picked up by the shipping agents as I had left the UK) Their verbal estimate to fix the problem was appx. £3000, only for them to present me an e-mailed bill for £8900 !!! and the best part was that I had to pay up as the shippers were due to pick the car and load it onto the container!!) I truely believe that I was 'had' by these people.
Rant over...

Porker
With that kind of story you really need to tell us who charged you £8900. Either the problems were very serious (or more that were hidden) or they really had your trousers down.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 AM
ppashley
Burning Brakes

+1 wowsers... 8900 ... POUNDS!
....which shop?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:35 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

wtf?...
Old 02-22-2009, 12:34 PM
J-F-O
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sal 965
With that kind of story you really need to tell us who charged you £8900. Either the problems were very serious (or more that were hidden) or they really had your trousers down.
Inquiring minds want to know !

Quick Reply: Extreme Problem urgent help request