Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot motor & hot day, and stick shift sticking in 1-2 area, notchy in neutral plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:05 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hot motor & hot day, and stick shift sticking in 1-2 area, notchy in neutral plane

I have a 93 C2- last weekend it was hot out and I took the car for a rare long drive- maybe 60 miles out to destination and 60 back. The oil temp was above the first line in the middle section (just below 9 o'clock). Anyway, when I was just getting home I noticed the shift lever was kind of staying in the 1-2 area and went back to the 3-4 area only when I pushed it. Also, when I went to put it into reverse it was a little hard to get in there and still kind of stuck in the 1-2 area when I took it out of reverse. I assumed it was maybe a linkage adjustment that was needed, or bushings that were suddenly going bad after reading some posts here. The next day I tried driving the car and the shifter was flawless- no sign of the issue again. I then thought it must be temperature related.

Just today I drove it around a bunch, another hot day- oil temp up at around the same area and no issues- never able to replicate the issue again, but I only drove it 10+ miles each trip today, not a long 60 mile trip.

Is this somehow related to a hot operating environment for a long period of time? I had a temperature related clutch issue last year fixed- different symptons, but similar in that it was temperature related- hot car and clutch kind of notchy. It was the clutch slave and clutch master cylinders and the clutch slave hose, all of which were replaced.

I don't know how the clutch or any fluid could affect the feel of the shifter moving in the linkage though it's range of left/right motion in neutral (i.e. moving the lever in neutral from 1-2 to 3-4 or reverse area) or getting into reverse, but maybe some sort of fluid was getting hot?

I'm glad the issue went away, but wonder what it was? The car was still drivable, but like I said, at the time I thought it might have been some sort of bushings or something suddenly going bad and didn't want to drive the car- when I did drive it the next day (and following week) it's fine so I don't think it's anything like that.

Has anyone else ever encounted something like this?
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I had similar symptoms and it was caused by the type of gear oil in the transmission. See

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/436711-notchy-transmission-solved.html
Old 06-15-2008, 01:35 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Well, the notchyness wasn't so much the engaging of the gears, but getting it into the reverse plane, or moving the stickshift back and for in the neutral plane- which I guess itself made the shift feel odd, but it wasn't really once the lever was lined up and moving that inch into a gear. I haven't touched the transmission oil, so it's not a sudden change in the type used like you experienced Rob.

It's very strange, as like I said I could see it being clutch related if the fluid got hot, or gear oil if it was difficult to engage gears, but for the lever to feel funny the only thing I could think of is the bushings or linkage, but why would that happen only when the car was hot for over an hour's drive?
Old 06-16-2008, 10:07 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Has anyone else ever had something like this occur? Any guesses would be appreaciated.

Thanks-
Andrew

Quick Reply: Hot motor & hot day, and stick shift sticking in 1-2 area, notchy in neutral plane