shox.com question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shox.com question

Hi Guys,

I have saved up and am ready to do the next mod to my car. suspension.

just looking at options. shox.com have them for a good price but..

the only lists one set of bilstien hd shocks for the 964 and I thought there were 2 different types. 89-91 and 91-93.

also it list H&R springs but does not go into detail on them.

Ive heard you guys talk about red and green H&R's anyone know which these will be?

ps. Anybody from the UK bought from shox.com and are there any other places us and uk I could look cheers.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pesty,

Yes, I bought mine from shox.com . Service was very good and delivery quick, although UK customs held it all up by 7 days. My car is the same MY as yours and is also a C4. Part numbers are, for HDs and H&R greens:

VE3-5277-HO Left Front HD
VE3-5278-HO Right Front HD
B46-1547 Rear HD x 2
29813 H&R Green spring set

I think I had the same problem as you with the website and called/emailed them to place the order. They sent me an order ref number to complete the sale from the site.

They actually charged me $314.60 for freight, which was about $100 over actual cost, but I wasn't too fussed as that is what they quoted me and I was very happy with the total price.

UK customs and Parcelforce added another £140.40. Still wokred out much cheaper than UK price, by about £200.00 at the time.

Hope that helps.

Adam.

PS I did confirm with them before placing the order that I was getting the correct rear dampers. You, like me, will need the later type.
PPS You will love the feel of the car when they are fitted, especially if you get it all properly aligned. Turn-in is alot crisper. Generally livelier, although still keeping that stable straight line feel of the C4.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that

its been giving me a right headache. those part numbers are very helpful.

how harsh is the ride if you don't mind me asking?

also I'm sure you are right about suspension but the car may have been built before it was registered so I need to check if it has the later rear struts before I click just to make sure.

PS red leather interior on a silver or black car is my ideal combination great choice
Old 06-12-2008, 03:53 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pesty
Thanks for that

its been giving me a right headache. those part numbers are very helpful.

how harsh is the ride if you don't mind me asking?

also I'm sure you are right about suspension but the car may have been built before it was registered so I need to check if it has the later rear struts before I click just to make sure.

PS red leather interior on a silver or black car is my ideal combination great choice
Pull the air box off the engine and it is easy to see the rear mount right in front of the airbox. It is easy to check and you are smart to validate. It's awful expensive to return them if you get the wrong ones.

I have the same set up you describe (HR greens and Bilstein HDs). I don't know how to describe how hard the ride is. It's a bit like describing how hard a chunk of wood is... it's not rock hard, but it's harder than a sponge... The Bilsteins are great. They give such good damping that I don't scrape on the speed bumps at work as there is no bouncing when my front rolls over. I can feel unevenness in the pavement and expansion joints on overpasses are certainly noticeable. However I have never felt like the ride was so rough that I was getting bad float on rough pavement. The greens seem like a really good balance for the street.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:25 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the same thing, and called them before I ordered them. I think when you order them online, you have to put the year of your car in and they sort out which ones you need. I had excellent service with them.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:30 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Mr.Risky speaks the truth about the ride comfort on the HD/Green set-up. My 964 is a DD, so I didn't want to be shaken to death on the average UK B road and they are indeed the perfect balance.

Best to check the model year letter in your VIN number to be sure on the correct rear dampers, or as Risky says, take a look at the strut mounts. Mine was registered early Jan. '92 ( pre old style April regs ), but is a MY92 with plastic intake etc. .

Thanks for the compliment on my car's colours. I felt the same way when I first saw it and bought with my heart, rather than head; although I did have a good PPI. Haven't seena nother one like it yet. If I had seen a Cobalt Blue car with black interior, I would have jumped on it. Never seem to be many blue 964s for sale in UK. Makes our cars worth more £££s, no?
Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meek
Never seem to be many blue 964s for sale in UK. Makes our cars worth more £££s, no?
I hope so

however in my experinces its always "ohh these cars are so rare" when I want to buy and "oh these are ten a penny "when I want to sell

MrRisky
take the air box off !! thanks Ive been looking everywhere thought I was going mad Ive had the torch in there and seen nothing!

I assume you mean just the top of it as if I was replacing the air filter?
Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

manufacture year is M in the vin so it was made in 1991 it does have the plastic intake
Old 06-12-2008, 05:09 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pesty

I assume you mean just the top of it as if I was replacing the air filter?
Correct... pull the cover off as if you where changing the air filter. You should be able to see it lurking right up in there.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Jim was nice enough to post these pictures of the old vs. new rear mounts:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/334944-91-rear-shocks-on-a-90-a.html
Old 06-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all your help guys much appreciated.

good news on teh feedback on handling you have made my mind up

Cheers
Phil
Old 06-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Superunknown
Racer

Pesty,

I have just received my Bilstein HD's from Shox. Mine is a 1991 c2 so I emailed them about the revised rear shocks etc. They got back to me quickly with part numbers etc and a quote number.

Ordered online and and shocks landed on my door step in 5 days! Cost me $800 including shipping and no import tax either! I really recommend them but cant guarantee you wont be hit with customs charge. They worked out about half price than if i bought them over here.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Thanks
superunknown. I know through experience customs can be hit and miss usualy more hit though for me. teh only way is to ask teh sender to undervalue the items on the declaration forms but Im sure they wouldnt do that. good news though on the price.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Superunknown
Racer

They did mark the item as a gift after i requested it. Not sure if that helped with me avoiding any customs charges. It cant do any harm in asking!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:37 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

all new and shiny struts and springs arrived today I love shiny new car stuff

Quick Reply: shox.com question