Sponsored by:

PST2 - I finally got one...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 AM
PCar SBA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking PST2 - I finally got one...

This unit actually started life as the generic Bosch KTS 500. It is more or less hardware compatible to the Porsche PST2. Unfortunately, the Porsche version commands a rather hefty Porsche-tax if you are trying to buy used. I saw the last one going on Evil bay for 3200$. That was a little steep so I got the Bosch version with the goal to convert it. After some tweaks I was ready to try it on the cars.

The bad news first: I was trying to read the DME on the 964 3.6 in my Targa. This should have been a pretty straight forward task. Plug the 8-pin AMP connector that goes into the Hamer into the short Bosch adapter and that goes into the PST2. However, despite numerous tries the PST2 did not find the DME. What a bummer. I think I have to chase the signals and check if something is mis-wired. Wired, the Hammer still finds the DME just fine. Maybe it is not as demanding and does not need the L-line. We will see.

The good news: Out of sheer frustration I went ahead and hooked the KTS 500 cable up to the 996 C4. And surprise surprise the PST2 found the DME. I knew at the time that the standard Bosch-OBD2 cable is different from the Porsche version. So with new-found inspiration I went ahead and converted the cable to Porsche specificatons. And that lead to full success. See for yourself.

First, the PST2 scans the vehicle and highlights all control units found in the car. For the C4 coupe it found the PSM and all other moduls expected. The "#" in front of a unit means there are stored fault codes:

Well, the faults are because the battery died on me. Maybe I need to drive the car more often. So the POSIP complained and so did the alarm unit if it can't lock/unlock the doors or move the windows. So I went ahead and erased the faults:

And voila, the next scan comes up clean. No more fault codes. So my first little job has been completed successfully:

What's left to be done is to figure out why the tester does not find the DME on my 3.6 conversion while my Hammer (KTS301) finds it. FYI, I made my own custom diagnostics port and a cable that has a custom connector on one end and the standard 8-pin AMP connector going into the Hammer on the other end. I used that same cable with the PST2 but it won't find the DME. Grrrr... My guess at this point is that the Hammer is less sensitive/demanding - maybe my L-line is not coming to the interface correctly and the Hammer doesn't need it to function while the PST2 does.

Cheers,
Ingo
Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 AM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might I ask how much this was? And where did you get it...?
Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 AM
PCar SBA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought the a pristine and very complete KTS 500 on Evil Bay Germany. The going rate is typically in the 800 - 1000 Euro range. The rest was a lot of research and work on my part to do the conversion.

Quick Reply: PST2 - I finally got one...