a/c and rear blower motor relays installed back to front

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:21 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy a/c and rear blower motor relays installed back to front

Hi All

I recently had my rear fuse box replaced after the bolts became seized in the bronze retainer nuts of the case and needed to be cut.

Unfortunately, the chap who did the work put the A/C relay and Blower motor relays back in the wrong position. I didn't notice anything amiss until driving approx 10 miles and then listening to the rear blower for about 20 minutes with the car stopped waiting for it to stop.

Returned the car and swapped relays to correct position and all seemed well.

Next day, found that the battery was completely drained but as I had just installed new stereo, decided it must be the 'green wire syndrome' and indeed found a problem, rectified and decided all was good.

Next day and again battery completely drained. Decided to check the relays again and found that the A/C relay was continuously engaging the a/c compressor clutch even with no power on ignition. I guess running the higher amps of the blower motor through the lower rated A/C relay fused the contacts together so that power was always being consumed. Have removed the relay and don't expect to find a flat battery tomorrow.

I have a couple of questions though...

1. What other damage might this incorrect placement of relays have caused?

2. My A/C system has not been running for 8 years or so. Haven't got around to charging it. In fact, the compressor clutch would not engage because there was not enough refrigerant in the system. Since the damaged relay caused the A/C compressor to work regardless, will this have caused any damage to A/C system?
Old 06-04-2008, 08:02 PM
gchristofi
Racer

guess I'll find out when I try to recharge it!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 04:49 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Where was the blow motor relay? my fan likes to run for days if I let it.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM
gchristofi
Racer

The rear blower motor relay is in the rear fuse box on the lhs. of the engine compartment. Mine was swapped with the a/c compressor relay which then fused to permanent on under too much current.!!
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Bluey964
Rennlist Member

How easy was it to change the rear fuse box? I have the same thing happened with nuts in the plastic inner part of the box now spinning, preventing me taking the cover off. Guess I tightened them that bit too much?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Bluey
The most difficult part was removing the original cover without doing too much damage to the lid! I watched as my mech used a dremel to carefully cut into the existing bolts.... like watching your baby at the dentist for the first time. That said, it was a 5 minute job so not too dificult.

I am making sure not to overtighten again.

Last edited by gchristofi; 06-24-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: a/c and rear blower motor relays installed back to front