Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 PDAS reset switch for on-the-fly recovery after a fault...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts
Lightbulb C4 PDAS reset switch for on-the-fly recovery after a fault...

Maybe I'm the only one, but numerous times I've had the PDAS throw a fault (#44 to be specific) which disables the system until the ignition is turned on then off. The fault is the result of not a failure of a component, but it seems the computer just doesn't know what to make of the crazy situation that occurs usually during a sliding turn or in some exciting cases, a full spin. While I have gotten good at turning the car on and off while braking for a long corner during a race, that's not the safest of things to do should my steering lock or something unfortunate like that. So I spent a few hours and figured out how to wire a push-button "reset" switch which will accomplish the same thing as turning on and off the ignition, but doesn't require the engine to be shut off - fantastic! It's quite easy to wire together, and in last weekend's race I got to test the switch and it worked flawlessly!

All that's needed is a push-button switch that is closed normally, and when pressed it opens momentarily. There is just one wire to interrupt by this switch: it is the black wire shown below coming from the ABS relay in the central electric box which provides switched power to the ABS relay. Wire in the switch to interrupt this wire, and you're simulating the on-off action of the ignition - instant reset of the PDAS to restore complete functionality.

Why bother? Well, it's pretty amazing how much slower a C4 is on track when the PDAS is turned off and the differentials are open - most power is lost in sharp turns to spinning the inside front wheel under power. No longer!!!

Hope someone else find it as useful as I!

Last edited by garrett376; 12-11-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:54 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Brilliant ! ! - Ive had this happen on very spirited mountain drives and during AutoX events and as you stated its not the safest thing to do to reset while driving. Ill have to wire this up before my next outing.

Thanks for your contribution to the forum
Old 05-25-2008, 11:55 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
... funny how the PDAS yells at me when I do something poorly!!!
I like to think PDAS is alerting me that its "confused". I usually get error code 13 or 43 which is the nebulous "implausible signal" for the Long/Trans sensor.

I saw your C4 sitting in the outer paddock area at the Speedway last Sunday morning but you were not around at the time. I caught the first warm up group that morning but had to leave early to catch a plane to NY so I did not get a chance to see you run. A few pictures of that group HERE
Old 05-27-2008, 02:02 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

*awesome mod*. Nice work Garrett.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:12 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks a lot, Garrett

Paolo
Old 05-27-2008, 02:50 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I will consider it a goal to "graduate" into needing this.. so far I haven't gotten to that level... ;-)

Quick Reply: C4 PDAS reset switch for on-the-fly recovery after a fault...