Sponsored by:

Front blower fan motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Les Dawes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front blower fan motors

Hi, has anyone tackled the job of getting to the front blower fan motors. One/both of mine develop a high pitched squeal after a short time of operating, I am suspecting dry bearings. I would like to lube them. Any help would be appreciated.Regards, Les.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I replaced the right-hand side one. Its not too hard. Let me look up the thread about it.

I used an old hacksaw blade to get the plastic retaining clips to release but you can improvise with almost anything that fits. If you look at the new blower/fan assembly, you will see them. Practice on the new fan. Once you have the hang of it, then go to the car and remove the old blower/fan. I replaced mine in 3 hours. Its tedious but managable.

As for a written procedure, there is a decent one in the factory manual.

Start here = https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=blower
Reference thread = https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=blower+motor
Another = https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=blower
Old 05-26-2008, 03:51 AM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I replaced my right fan a few months back. Don't be counting on lube solving the problem. Frankly, after you go through the work to get to the fan, you'll not be wanting to do so again.

It's not hard but again, it's not something you're going to want to do next week either.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Sten
Pro

The bearings aren't up to the job after maybe 15 years of continuous rotation (the fans run all the time). My RH fan is so bad it's now blowing the fuse as it's trying to turn. I've bought both sides, cost was ~£350 I think. It's a pain to do, so I'd recommend changing both if you're going in there...
Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Les Dawes
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, I removed the firewall, then the curved covers off the fan housings. I was able to lube the bush bearing (through the fan), this has solved the problem. Turned out not to be a complicated job, just a lot of bits to remove/replace. regards, Les.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the same in the past. You may find "solved" isn't quite the right word - it doesn't fix it for all that long.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my passenger side blower motor this weekend. Wasn't that difficult, although reaching the bottom driver side screw on the firewall was problematic. Also, refitting the firewall was a bit tricky, as it's such a long piece, and it's somewhat difficult aligning the holes for all dimensions.

The old motor was seized completely, and when forced to turn yielded some black, burnt-out bits falling out from it. Also, there's a small funnel/concentrator that fits into the fan housing (the plastic shroud), and mine was cracked in 3 places. I used some superglue to strengthen the cracks.

All in all, not that difficult a job. Just remember that the battery may drain (ask me how I know) from the boot light being on.

Quick Reply: Front blower fan motors