Sponsored by:

HELP! Bought the wrong clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:36 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Bought the wrong clutch

I have an '89 C4 with the original style rubber center clutch. I bought the later model clutch kit thinking mine had been updated.

Does anyone know what's involved in upgrading to the later model 964 clutch and pressure plate. It's the disk that has the lining mounted on the spring steel "ears". I think I read somewhere that it requires extending the transmission tube, which I guess is the spline.

CRAP!!!!!!!!! Looks like this is gonna keep me from completing the install this weekend.

Anyone in Texas have a new rubber center clutch disk or kit available? I'll pay cash and drive there to get it.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you can use the parts from a non 89 C4 on an 89 C4 .
They redid everything when they moved to the dual mass , even the size of the bell housing was enlarged iirc .
Old 05-25-2008, 12:35 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gave up

Well I gave up on getting lucky and finding someone who had, or who had access to, an '89 clutch disk or kit. Decided to wait till the first of the week and exchange the kit I received for the correct one.

That means I'll have to work nights to get it running by next weekend's Maverick Auto-X.

Thanks Indycam for confirming my fears that my weekend of P-car work was spoiled. Seems to always be something unexpected that jumps up to bite me.

Quick Reply: HELP! Bought the wrong clutch