Wanted: Koni Shock Experts

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:35 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanted: Koni Shock Experts

Good morning,

I am looking for some sage advice regarding some Koni shocks I just purchased from a RennList member. A brief to bring you up to speed follows:

The shock and spring sets are from a 800 mile installation that was removed in favor of a JIC package. The shocks and springs look like brand new, as advertised. The car was a 94 as I recall. My car is an 89 and I am aware of the modification required to fit the late shock to the early mount at the rear.

The spring set are HR Turbo Reds
The front shocks are Bilstein HDs
The rear shocks are the Koni Adjustables.

Here is the question. When I opened the box there was an oil stain surrounding the area of the adjustment valve on one of the Koni's.

Upon inspection I found the source of the leak at the adjustment valve. I realize that can't be good. IF its leaking oil, could it have leaked gas, too?

I also noted that the adjustment valves are impossible to rotate in either direction with the white plastic adjusting **** that came with a set of Konis on my bimmer.

Before I go any further, I solicit your advice and opinions on the leak and the apparent stiffness of the adjust valves on both shocks. I can only compare to my other Konis and rely on common sense and experience, but admit I am not a shock engineer and maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Lynn
Old 05-18-2008, 11:12 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Default Mounted or umounted?

I wonder if the shocks have to be mounted and under the weight of the car ie, loaded before the valve can be adjusted?

Still doesn't explain the leak though, which becomes readily apparent when you try to move the adjustment valve while on the workbench.

Based on the ease of movement with my other Konis, I have to wonder if not being loaded is causing this condition.

thx,
Lynn
Old 05-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you should send them off to Koni to get checked.
I remember the adjusters being tight , and using a needle nose channellock pliers to adjust.
Adjusters should turn without being loaded.

What is your plan. Are you going to install as a mixed set?
Or are you going to match a pair of Koni's on the front?

My personal experience with a mixed set of Koni's on front and Boge's on the rears with H&R greens was that the Koni's were too stiff, even on lowest setting, for the street. I ended up replacing with Bilsteins all around with H&R reds, then with Roock springs.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:38 AM
amr89c4
Pro

I bought a set of Bilstein HDs for the rears, just in case the modification wsas going to be too much of a pain or if they didn't work well together, if I did do the mod.

I thought they would be fine based on the weight of the car being biased to the rear. However, the PO did switch to a JIC setup. My plan was to sell the Konis if I decided against modifying, but now I am concerned about their condition and wouldn't want to sell someone til I am satisfied I'm doing something wrong or they go back to Koni through the original owner for repair under the lifetime warranty.

I'll be working with the PO on that scenario.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I went through much of the same thinking when I started my suspension. I found one rear Koni at the time and spent weeks trying to find its mate. I had previously used Koni's and I liked the adjustability, but it was too much hassle. I ended up with the Bilsteins and have been happy so far.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

There is a shop that will rebuild the KONI's for about 150 each - I don't have the address with me, at home - they will also add the second adjustment to the shock for 350 per shock whcih includes complete rebuild and adjustment-
I will get address and send later tonight
Old 05-21-2008, 04:59 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

I have Koni's in my car, and the adjuster will turn fairly easy with the *****. I have H&R reds on the car also, but do have koni's front and rear, so can't totally comment on your set up. As far as the leak, mine did not leak whe shipped, so I would think that there is a problem. Good luck.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry this took so long had some issues -
The place you can get your Koni's rebuit is;
TrueChoice KONI - Racing Services
4683 Northwest Parkway
Hillard, OHIO 43026
USA
1-888-566-4722
It takes about two weeks