Sponsored by:

Paint code horror - dark blue

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint code horror - dark blue

Has as anybody else have this problem or am I just unlucky?

Sent my wheels away to be powder coated -- provided the paint code number for dark blue -- also sent the front bumper, headlight rings and new teardrop mirrors -- to get them painted.

Picked up today and took them back home -- shock -- they are "more blue" than my never painted p car -- the car is "more black".

I asked the paint shop if they checked the colour match on the bumper bar before they repainted it -- they said yes but looking at it that's hard to believe.

The paint shop say that they used Dulux two pack solid colour paint -- could that have made any difference?

Also the paint shop say that they did not use clear "because we don't put clear over solid colour two pack".

Any ideas? Has this hapenned to anyone else? Is it different paint manufacturers? Or do I just have to go to another paint shop and get them to do the job again using glasurit paint (which I now understand is the "correct paint")

Suggestions appreciated
Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

If your paint is weathered, there is not much hope of getting a color match. Weathered paint is typically lighter on the top than on the sides. Assuming your old paint is in good condition, there is no reason you should not see a perfect color match even from a different paint brand. Color analyzers available to the paint manufacturers can pick a color from a pallette of 16 million or more - far better than the naked eye can discern. I almost always see perfect color matches using just the factory code.

If you see a visible difference, there is a problem. I have not seen powder coating done on body parts. Perhaps the powder system does not have the available color mixes to match the factory color. I am certain if you use a brand-name spray system in accordance with instructions, you will not be able to tell a color difference. The "accordance with instructions" is important. Don't go to a shop that "wings it".
Old 04-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Thanks Springer -- I've arainged for the painter to have a look at my car tomorow and I will see what he says.

Regarding the powder coating -- the paint shop said that they would not be able to get powder coat paint in the same colour so what they did was use the above-mentioned Dulux two pack solid colour blue on the wheels and then put powder coat clear over the top -- at least that appears to have been successful because the wheels and the front bumper cover look to be exactly the same "wrong colour".

The interesting thing in what you say is that in your experience paint mixed to the number is good for colour match -- this really is not even close -- you can see the difference from 20 feet and from 10 feet and fromm 1 foot in dayliight and in bright halogeen light.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:04 AM
t-shark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures!!
I am very sorry to hear your story however... I hope you can sort it out with the paint shop and haven't paid them already...
Old 04-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Yes -- the painter has been paid -- that's the rule in a small country town -- cash on delivery.

It's a bit past midnight here so photos will have to wait till tomorrow -- and then I'll have to work out how to post them -- never done that before --- now I have a reason to learn!
Old 04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
t-shark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't they shoot people in small little towns as well....?
Just go advanced at the bottom here and upload a picture that you first put on your computer.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 840 Likes on 423 Posts

In this case, I think you have to take the responsibility. 15+ year old paint is not going to match fresh stuff. Dark colors (like blue) typically darken over time. You should have brought the entire car in and asked them to match, which would have cost significantly more (as they would have to mix, spray, and compare multiple times).

Quick Reply: Paint code horror - dark blue