Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extinguisher mount ideas & criticisms sought

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008 | 10:38 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DAVISRILEY
Are you trying to put it between the seat and the tracks?
Yup. That's what they directed. (Step 3)
I'm also fairly sure I tried that between-rails-and-floor fit check, and found it wanting... but now I don't recall for sure.

[Nuts! -- back into the trenches tonight. Dang crappy memory!]
Oh, how I do love removing those 2 seat front socket head bolts -- 1/6th of a turn at a time...
Old 04-28-2008 | 11:08 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Well, now I wonder if mine is in wrong. My seats are bottom mount like yours, but I have the different mount. Ever thought about duct tape? Hopefully you get it squared away. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2008 | 12:52 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Wink

Don't say 'Duct Tape' around me, any more! -- Else, I'll have to go all Red Green on ya!

I mean, have you ever seen a better 'bracket' to tape an extinguisher to than that e-brake handle?! Perfect. (OH, Sure -- some might carp about my Extinguisher Release Device (aka, folding buck knife), but there's just no satisfying the hand-wringers among us...
Old 04-30-2008 | 08:40 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Don't say 'Duct Tape' around me, any more! -- Else, I'll have to go all Red Green on ya!

I mean, have you ever seen a better 'bracket' to tape an extinguisher to than that e-brake handle?! Perfect. (OH, Sure -- some might carp about my Extinguisher Release Device (aka, folding buck knife), but there's just no satisfying the hand-wringers among us...
I can't put mine behind the passenger's seat as it's too far away to pass tech.

Buckley Racing in TX makes a bracket for an extinguisher so that it sits above the heater controls between the seats and still lets you pull up the e-brake. Scroll to the bottom of the page at the above link.

Edit: link fixed

Last edited by Chris M.; 04-30-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-30-2008 | 09:41 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

As our eloquent Ilko says:
"Linky no workee"
But I get your point, here. Thanks, Chris!

Downside is need to strip away interior plastic tunnel-top bits. Too over-the-top for me for a weekend's DE.

I've got myself some 0.12"-thick 6061T6 alloy 2"-wide strap to fab myself one of those back bucket seat mounts.
One cut, two bends, two big holes, 4 little holes, some filing, (maybe some slit tygon tube as edge protectant,) and I'll be good to go.

If this were more of a racer (not a DE'er), there'd be more satisfying solutions I'd be willing to not compromise. But this will be a good 'nuf, bolt-in, bolt-out, weekend solution.
Maybe I'll spray her black to blend. Or go Navy cautionary and spray it with barber pole red-n-white 'danger' stripes! lol
Old 04-30-2008 | 12:49 PM
porshaowner
Instructor

Originally Posted by elbeee964
As our eloquent Ilko says:
"Linky no workee"
But I get your point, here. Thanks, Chris!

Downside is need to strip away interior plastic tunnel-top bits. Too over-the-top for me for a weekend's DE.

I've got myself some 0.12"-thick 6061T6 alloy 2"-wide strap to fab myself one of those back bucket seat mounts.
One cut, two bends, two big holes, 4 little holes, some filing, (maybe some slit tygon tube as edge protectant,) and I'll be good to go.

If this were more of a racer (not a DE'er), there'd be more satisfying solutions I'd be willing to not compromise. But this will be a good 'nuf, bolt-in, bolt-out, weekend solution.
Maybe I'll spray her black to blend. Or go Navy cautionary and spray it with barber pole red-n-white 'danger' stripes! lol
lets just sum this up .9posts slaming bk because you bought the wrong part .this mount is for a factory seat.duh,assclown
Old 04-30-2008 | 01:11 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porshaowner
lets just sum this up .9posts slaming bk because you bought the wrong part .this mount is for a factory seat.duh
Too true.
To BK, I take back what I took to be aftermarket coverage under their non-powered seat description. This was wrong of me.
BK has this covered (yes? no?) with their universal mount.
BK, my sincere apologies.

And, porsh -- cut me a little credit here, 1 (ok, 2) of my posts slammed BK -- the other 8 were trying to find a way out from what (you correctly point out) was my own ignorance. Have a great day, porsh.
Old 04-30-2008 | 01:47 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

lets just sum this up .9posts slaming bk because you bought the wrong part .this mount is for a factory seat.duh,assclown
Wow, pretty harsh, don't you think? Give the guy a break. I'm sure we all need to vent a little when we get frustrated. Relax a little.
Old 05-01-2008 | 12:38 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

pm sent.

Marc
Old 05-01-2008 | 12:50 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Don't mount it to the seat - bolt it into the outside of the passenger well. My shop said that's where they put the US Cup extinguishers, so that's where mine is... Not a great photo, but you get the idea. Does not get in the way...
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2008 | 10:42 AM
all623
Instructor

Originally Posted by RonCT
Don't mount it to the seat - bolt it into the outside of the passenger well. My shop said that's where they put the US Cup extinguishers, so that's where mine is... Not a great photo, but you get the idea. Does not get in the way...
I like that solution. Was there an aftermarket part or was it custom? Close-up photo if no trouble would be great.
Old 05-01-2008 | 11:01 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

It's just a standard extinguisher mount with the clamps that hold the extinguisher. I'm sure you already have one that would bolt the unit to the BK "U" shaped under-seat piece. I imagine my shop used 4 machine screws to screw it into the foot well. When I bought my car it had the same BK mount you have, which we quickly dispensed with. Can't get a better photo - car is stored off site.

Quick Reply: Extinguisher mount ideas & criticisms sought