Sponsored by:

Car never starts on first crank

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:34 AM
apyip
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car never starts on first crank

My 91'964C2 never starts on first crank. Always on the second. It has a new battery and new fuel pump replaced less then a month ago. Any ideas anyone??
Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 AM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

what happens if you flick the ignition on for a second, back off, then try to start?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:51 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Was this a slow-onset problem -- got worse with time?

Mine had that, too, 1/2 year ago. Messing/cleaning with injector electric connections was the start of answers for me. New battery didn't hurt matters, either.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 AM
CB Red 964
Advanced

I am just digging into the same problem on my 90'. According to my research I am going to look at the engine temperature sensor. Apparently, if it goes bad the system defaults to the fuel setting for 120 degree engine temp so you don't get the right fuel mixture for a cold start.

Coincidently there was an article on this exact part and symptom in Panorama this month.

Not doing the work for another 2 weeks so I can't confirm this will fix the problem but thought it was worth passing along as another avenue to check out.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
apyip
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CB Red 964
I am just digging into the same problem on my 90'. According to my research I am going to look at the engine temperature sensor. Apparently, if it goes bad the system defaults to the fuel setting for 120 degree engine temp so you don't get the right fuel mixture for a cold start.

Coincidently there was an article on this exact part and symptom in Panorama this month.

Not doing the work for another 2 weeks so I can't confirm this will fix the problem but thought it was worth passing along as another avenue to check out.
This is interesting. It could be it. I notice that it only happens in the mornings or when the engine starts from cold. If i use it thru the day, it starts fine on first crank. Gotta take alook at this when I fine some time when my wife is out with the friends.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
apyip
Intermediate

Originally Posted by demonfish
what happens if you flick the ignition on for a second, back off, then try to start?
Will try this this weekend and see if its the same. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do these cars have a fuel-pressure regulator? could that be the problem? Just a WAG.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:20 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CB Red 964

CB, welcome to Rennlist! Do you happen to know if the temp sender that feeds the engine management sensor is the same one that feeds the dash oil temp gauge? Or are there two temp sensors?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There are two. One is a Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT). The other is an oil temp sensor; which is part of the oil pressure sender.

Thanks to Marc (that's your suspension; right?), and Jason (I expect) for the pics.
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2008, 10:37 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
There are two. One is a Cylinder Head Temperature sensor (CHT). The other is an oil temp sensor; which is part of the oil pressure sender.

Thanks to Marc (that's your suspension; right?), and Jason (I expect) for the pics.
Thank you VERY much. That is really good info.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You're welcomed. And note that the first is the left rear wheel well, looking aft. Note that O2 sensor wire in the right hand side of the pic for reference. The second is the top right forward (of the car) area of the engine bay; behind the air box. The pic is actually looking cross ways, from right to left; with the engine out, I expect. Easy to get to with the engine in if you pull the intakes. Rather fiddly otherwise.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:10 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I find that my car gets hard to start when the ISV needs cleaning. After it's cleaned, the car starts on the first try.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

That engine temp sensor, I believe, attaches onto #3 head. FWIW.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:34 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could a faulty fuel pressure regulator be the cause... is the problem worse the longer the car is left standing?
Old 04-25-2008, 04:19 PM
apyip
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gchristofi
could a faulty fuel pressure regulator be the cause... is the problem worse the longer the car is left standing?
As of today, the car was left standing for 3 days. I started it again, but this time, i turned the ignition on and left it for a min before cranking. The car started first time.

So....now, it I crank straight away when I get into the car, I need to crank twice to start. But if I turn the ignition first and wait for a min before I crank, the car starts first time. Sounds like something to do with the fuel then. hmmmm........

Quick Reply: Car never starts on first crank