Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only one upgrade please ...Headers or LSD

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
deoxford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read before that it can be done with the plate on the side of the trans without removal.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

That's what I've heard as well. However the people I spoke with told me that due to small differences in size between the differentials, they have to be measured very precisely and use shims to adjust position if necessary. Apparently the only possible way to do that is with the transmission out of the car and on the table.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:03 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Wink

I am just trying to curb the spending some.

For some reason that declaration struck my funny bone, this Friday afternoon.
Me, too, brother -- I'm just trying, and trying...
Old 04-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that it can be installed and properly shimmed without transmission removal and simply using the access port. Its how the Guard unit was installed on my car. It would appear the shop just needs to know how to do it (sure it might be easier with it out, but that's a lot of labor and extra expense).

I have the Guard unit as I'm told it's easier to adjust and more robust. It replaced a stock LSD that was shot. I kept it in preference to the Porsche /32 as the shop liked the Guard better and they are the ones who have to maintain it.

I can't address what is "best" for anyone else as everything is a compromise to some extent. Is the /32 the best LSD you could buy? Probably not. Is it better on the track than one from, or for, a /05 or /20, yes. Is it better for the street, maybe a bit, but on the street it's not an issue like it is at the track. It's certainly priced right (IMO) as a Guard LSD , which many think are better, is more like $2500 and also may not be in stock.

Quick Reply: Only one upgrade please ...Headers or LSD