Sponsored by:

Wheel arch rolling

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Low 964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel arch rolling

Ive read a bit about this, do the arches need rolling if you lower the car a lot.
Were RS arch lips thinner?
My C2 arches seem thin anyway, what is the reason for doing it.
What does it involve and who does it?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Low 964
Pro

Ive searched the forum, got some advice, but my arches do seem thin, any one got a pic of before and after?

Im going RS level with original 964 turbo 17 inch cups and will space to suit, will I need to trim arches?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Low 964
Ive searched the forum, got some advice, but my arches do seem thin, any one got a pic of before and after?

Im going RS level with original 964 turbo 17 inch cups and will space to suit, will I need to trim arches?
It really depends on how wide a tire you run and how low your car is. 225s and 245s if spaced properly should fit without rolling the fenders, but it depends on the make as some are wider than others. 245F/275R need major massaging.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
1990-964
Pro

Wait!!---Whatever you do DO NOT TRIM THE FENDER LIP!! Rolling is the correct method. Cutting any metal away would weaken the structure in that area. These are unit body cars and you never want to remove any weld or bond points. There are a few ways to do this from expensive but very slick tools that provide a very factory look to the job or using a wooden dowel or even a baseball bat and rolling it around gently while applying downward pressure on the fender. It is easy to do, just take your time.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 AM
DLCrow
Instructor

Anyone know of a link to photos of someone doing this? I've been reading about it but haven't a clue as to how to do it - I've read read earlier as well of doing it with a baseball bat as one of the posts identifies. How do you ensure that its done symetrically etc.?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM
1990-964
Pro

If symetry is what you seek then using one of the tools that bolts to the hub and has a roller that you dial tension into as you roll it back and forth to bend the lip is your answer. These tools are not inexpensive. I have seen them for sale at FVD. I think CDOC also has them as well as others. I personnaly would not worry about both sides being perfectly even. What you are trying to achieve here is tire clearance not looks. The rolled lip is not even visible unless you have the wheel off and your head up inside the wheelwell. As for doing it with the bat it is pretty easy but not very scientific. You have to insert the bat between the tire and the fender lip. With a friend helping, push up and down on the bumper as you roll the bat around the radius of the fender. This will gently move the lip up and out giving you the tire clearance you need. It will take several passes to finish but doing it a little at a time is preffered anyway. I have done it before this way and it works great for the car but not for the bat. It is not much good for anything else afterwards. Good luck if you decide to try it.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DLCrow
How do you ensure that its done symetrically etc.?
Get lots of practice on someone else's car.

Rolling a fender lip is really a simple procedure. Make sure that the inside fender lip is clean, and that the paint is warm. Sometimes old paint will crack, and some guys put a razor slice at the very bottom edge so that any cracking will be along that line, and it is easy to touch up. Insert the small section of the bat between the tire and the fender lip, holding it at a 45 degree angle. You may need to cut the bat to get the size "roller" that you need. Roll the car slowly and the tire will drag the bat through the wheel arch. Do it progressively, and with each pass press the bat into the more vertical position. It will slowly roll the lip up and flatten it against the fender.

Actually the vaunted baseball bat method leaves something to be desired. I prefer using the handle of an old nylon bladed hockey stick. I cut off the blade and use the nylon shank to roll the fender. It slides much more easily than the bat method, and the flat shaft makes a smoother roll in the lip.

Remember, as always, this is a job for professionals, don't try this at home and your results may vary.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I have done it with a baseball bat - the trick here is to use sheet plastic that you buy at Home Depot - fairly thick so you won't tear it right away. The plastic give the bat and fender a slick surface to slide on between the contact points. As far as matching the fender roll it is relatively easy also. When you work the bat you are pulling it down and also pushing out at the same time ( big end of the bat is under the fender) use a natural color bat and mark the bat at the point you have enough flare or roll. Then on the other side do the same thing - work the bat until you see your mark. Note - that the flare or roll should tapper from front to back with the max in the middle - So you may want to have several marks to indicate which point is for what area. Go slow and you can do a good job that will look professional.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Low 964
Pro

We only have cricket bats in Uk, is that ok to use!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

If you want a contour of the Himalaya, go ahead

Harry
Old 04-15-2008, 04:57 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

use the handle. You will be just fine.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
RSGulp
Racer

About 6 - 9 months ago some posted a link to a website (forum) showing how to roll the arches using a special tool bolted to the hub. It was very clear, gave very good advice, and made the process look dare I say quite easy. I think the car being modified was a Mazda.

Can anyone remember the thread? I've done a search but didn't see it. Thought it might help out the OP.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:09 PM
RSGulp
Racer

Rub it with linseed oil first.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Is that what she told you?? - a baseball bat is round and tapered so as you roll the bat you can increase the size of the bat area between the tire and the fender this pushes the fender lip out. The plastic sheet helps keep the bat wood from sticking to the fender and let the bat slip on the lip easier. One thing that is important to remember that I forgot to state earlier - make sure that the paint on the lip is warm to the touch - if the paint is cold or cool you stand a worse chance of cracking the paint - ( If you are making a larger flare) the warmer the paint the more flexible it is. Use a hot air gun to warm up the paint -
Old 04-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Low 964
Pro

I was searching for shocks on US site, one of the dealers had such a machine in store, it bolted to the wheel studs, they would do it for you free if you bought their wheels....dont remember who though.

Quick Reply: Wheel arch rolling