Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most ridiculous Porshe part price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Most ridiculous Porshe part price?

I have a candidate for the most ludicrous price that I have been quoted for a Porsche part to date.

I recently acquired a CDC-1 changer to go with my original head unit and needed the mounting kit from Porsche, all of which was very reasonable, execpt for the changer to head unit cable. That one cable would cost me, if I were stupid enough to buy it, £367 plus VAT at 17.5% = grand total of £431.25!!!! Nearly fell of my chair. Needless to say I will source something else to do the same job for a tenner.

The rumour mill seems to think that alot of 964 genuine parts prices are on their way up and that Porsche is stopping OEM supply of parts other than through themselves. Any truth in this?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Ive got one.....not as expensive as yours but stupid none the less. The Bolts that connect your ac hoses to the compressor....10.00 a piece from Porsche for each. I got them at true value hardware for $1.50 for both of them. Same 8.8 steel strength rating.

One on right is new one, left is the porsche bolt.

JERRY
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by meek
I have a candidate for the most ludicrous price that I have been quoted for a Porsche part to date.

I recently acquired a CDC-1 changer to go with my original head unit and needed the mounting kit from Porsche, all of which was very reasonable, execpt for the changer to head unit cable. That one cable would cost me, if I were stupid enough to buy it, £367 plus VAT at 17.5% = grand total of £431.25!!!! Nearly fell of my chair. Needless to say I will source something else to do the same job for a tenner.

The rumour mill seems to think that alot of 964 genuine parts prices are on their way up and that Porsche is stopping OEM supply of parts other than through themselves. Any truth in this?

Just curious why your installing such old technology. I have this in my turbo with updated speakers and amp and it still sounds awful the head units have very poor frequency response and the Disc changer skips all the time. This is on a low mileage car. I would buy a nice Nakamichi CD500 use the internal amp and have a CD that never skips with true 23bit technology and Ipod connectivity. It looks factory and sounds 1000% better, I never use the stereo in my turbo so I leave it but it has very poor tonal quality.

I am sure Porsche hasn't sold that cable for years and have added storage fees onto it for every year it has sat on the shelf. So unless you need to keep your car original I highly recommend spending your money on newer equipment you would enjoy the sound far more than what your attempting to do.

CD 500 in my GTS, as you can see it looks very close to the factory units.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Just keen on keeping it original, Cobalt. I just like my old cars to look factory fresh; all adds to the character for me. I don't use the stereo much and mainly listen to the radio when I do, but still keen to get it back to the factory option, even if it is uselesss. Who ever said Porsche ownership required sanity?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:53 AM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Just curious why your installing such old technology.
+1

If and only if the car was some sort of car show winner due to milage and perfect condition would I feel obligated to keep such crappy sound products in my car. Any car I would drive...either it needs a decent stereo or none at all.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by meek
Just keen on keeping it original, Cobalt. I just like my old cars to look factory fresh; all adds to the character for me. I don't use the stereo much and mainly listen to the radio when I do, but still keen to get it back to the factory option, even if it is uselesss. Who ever said Porsche ownership required sanity?
Sanity. That went out the window over 25 years ago when I purchased my first Pcar. Just curious to your rational and that is entirely up to you.

I just figured I would point out options. I actually change out some parts to update them and keep every original piece so I have the option of swapping back some day.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

PS both of you need to change your avatars; they are immensely distracting and only cause bitterness amongst us lesser mortals
Old 04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
RickEtheridge
Advanced

This is an easy one...Almost any part you buy from a dealer can be considered ridiculously priced.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

True, and I pretty much expect some silly pricing along with Porsche ownership, but that price was just crazy. The chap on the parts desk did say that there are often errors in PET on parts prices. Only problem is that it is very hard to get them corrected without lots of hassle. It may just be a case of Hans missing the '.' and it should be £36.70 .
Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ferrari parts (as I am recently discovering) are very rediculous. Even basic stuff.

Porsche logo key fob: $20. Ferrari logo key fob: $92.
Fan switch: $450 ... oops, no longer in production.

Ahh, but they look, drive and sound great.

My 964 is now my inexpesive-to-maintain car.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try pricing handles for the RS door panel swap. They want $290+ EACH!!! and that's from Sunset.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default cable

hello Meek, who makes the radio and changer? you can have that cable made or and if blaupunkt you cna go to service center and get new one for cheap.

let me know who makes it and i can search for you . email www.continentalimports.com

www.MidwestElectronics.com

www.swstereo.com

sure they have what you need
Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 PM
dutchcrunch
Rennlist Member

Default email

those are the sites not email addresses
Old 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Call the dealer and ask for a quote on a replacement motor for your car .

When I called they said 56,000 U.S.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:05 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Thanks Dutchcrunch, The system was made by Blaupunkt, so should be easy enough to source a suitable cable. I will try the links you kindly posted.

Quick Reply: Most ridiculous Porshe part price?