Sponsored by:

Brake anti-squeal options

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake anti-squeal options

I am going to replace my brake pads. After reading many searches on the topic it seems the concensus is not to bother using the factory mushroom shims as they appear to be a PIA to remove /install.
The question is, does any one have any recommendations re: one of the many aftermarket anti-squeal products that can be applied to the back of the pads?
Old 04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

You won't necessarily have brake squealing. My old C4 without the shims didn't squeal. My RSA does. I would check first if the brakes squeal and then spend money trying to correct the problem if it does indeed exist.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine squeal.. but I kinda put the mushrooms back in... it was a PIA to put them back... and one got damaged as I removed it. I'd like to think we can go without them...
Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Strange - I had 3 out of 8 "Spiders" pop out when I swapped pads yesterday and I didn't have any trouble getting them back in. Pair of thin needle nose pliers and my thumb - one shot deal, no problem.

Long ago I tried some anti-squeal goo and swore to never do that again... What a mess!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried all sorts of combinations including the mushrooms, new rotors, different pads. Ultimately I found the type of pad made the most difference for me. Ferrodo and Metalmasters work well. Textar and OE (probably textar) make noise.

The ones that work I just stick in and go, no mushrooms. They do have a built on rubber pad on he back, but thats it.

Also... The original 2 pistons on the back of my car were terribly noisy. I couldnt find many pad options for them so I swapped them for 4 pistons. I never found a way to make my 2 pistons stop making noise, but, as I just mentioned, I couldnt find different pads, so I was trying all the other tricks I could come up with to no avail.

just my mileage on the matter. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine squealled horribly after I changed pads. I tried mushrooms and anti-squeal paste with no luck. I ended up going with with Hawk Ceramic and have not had any squeal issues.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't get brake squeal. In 30+ years of brake work I have never had it happen to me using all kinds of pads. On Pcars I use the mushrooms and glue them to the new pads with a small dot of anti squeal goop. Clean all metal surfaces that the pad backing plate can touch on the caliper and apply a very small amout of brake grease. Remember, the squeal is from metal to metal contact from the backing plate to the caliper. Not pad surface to rotor. So the mushrooms keep the pad from moving around and touching the metal caliper.

I am sure some pad types can over come this preperation but I have not found one yet. Good luck!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get any squeal from my OE style street pads (textar, etc) and I don't have any spiders or mushrooms installed. Now my PFC and Pagid track pads squeal like an old school bus....
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by John52
After reading many searches on the topic it seems the concensus is not to bother using the factory mushroom shims as they appear to be a PIA to remove /install.
This recommendation only makes sense if you're changing pads on a regular basis.

Originally Posted by John52
The question is, does any one have any recommendations re: one of the many aftermarket anti-squeal products that can be applied to the back of the pads?
If your using the factory OE pads just buy new spiders, they work.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

On the 944, which doesn't use spiders, I defeated brake squeal by putting rows of electrical tape on the back of the brake pads. No issue these past years... ymmv.

Quick Reply: Brake anti-squeal options