Sponsored by:

Instruments Fogging

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 05:20 AM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instruments Fogging

All the instruments, except Speedo, tend to fog after driving with the aircon on. The speedo is relatively new while the others are original equipment to the best of my knowledge.

Fogging means that there is a thin layer of condensation on the inside of the instrument glass. It is enough to make some less than easy to read when driving at night.

Is this common?

Is there a DIY fix or do they have to be sent out for refurbishments?

Possibly a problem with the air ducts behind the dash???

Driving without the aircon is not feasible in the tropics.

JNeteler
Old 03-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check for damp inside the front luggage area. If the seals aren't working properly, moisture builds up in here and it'll find its way to the inside of the instruments.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

It is not a common problem. Possibly the climate is so hot and humid that just chilling the glass with the cabin air is enough to cause condensation. The speedo may have a better seal or possibly there is dessicant inside.

I agree check to make sure the trunk and windshield seals are holding. If that fails, here is a trick that worked on my boat: hard wire the instrument lights so the bulbs inside the instruments are on any time the ignition is on. That generated enough heat to keep the moisture at bay. Try turning on the parking lights to see if that would work. Give it a little time to see if it starts working.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:25 PM
kalujo
Advanced

I have the same problem,but just in the tachometer,it's certainly not humid here in the S,of France at this time of year.
Like the idea of leaving the lights on to see if the heat generated by the bulb de-fogs the dial.Thanks springer3,
Old 03-30-2008, 10:56 AM
jneteler
Racer

The area under the bonnet is dry.

Left the lights on while going for a 200km drive and only the tach was visibly fogged. Guess it takes more than a few watts to dry the bugger out.

Thanks for all the tips but I will have to keep looking for the cause of this one and then report back.

Regards,

JNeteler

Quick Reply: Instruments Fogging