964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My brake lights are not working.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008 | 02:07 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Default My brake lights are not working.....

Can someone tell me where I should start to look.

I did have some water on my drivers side floor from a leak that is now fixed. I replaced the brake switch from an earlier mishap so thats new. Could be a faulty switch but what are the odds.

I just replaced the entire rear light assembly. 3 pieces. The directionals work fine. But no brake lights.

Any test to perform?
Old 03-25-2008 | 02:16 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Have you tested for voltage at the switch? At the light?

I know it sounds basic, but I always try to check the easy stuff first.
Old 03-25-2008 | 02:37 PM
MassGuy
Racer

JD I have no doubt it is a simple procedure to check for voltage but I am an electrical moron. I dont know how to do this. I am willing to learn though.

I checked the fuse and it is clean. I did a visual of the switch and its ok (under the pedal). As for the sensor mentioned I do not know its location.
Old 03-25-2008 | 03:05 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

No worries Mass. I was actually afraid that if I suggested checking the switch and/or voltage you would respond, "well no ****." I didn't mean to insult your electrical skills.

Do you have a 12v voltage checker tool... looks like a screw driver with a light in the handle and a ground wire with a clip on the end? Looks like this:

The idea is to attach the clip to a known good ground and then poke wires or fittings with the pointy end to see if there is power there.

In your case you would clip the ground wire to a bolt or unpainted surface under the dash or in the door and then poke around at the switch under the pedal. With your foot off the pedal one wire should have voltage. When you press the pedal they both should have voltage. If neither has voltage then you know it is something between the pedal and the battery. If one side has voltage both with and without the switch tripped, then you have a bad switch.

If you hook it up and get no voltage at the switch, be sure and check your ground. I always do this by hooking up the ground and then poking a wire I know is hot. That way you can be sure your tool is properly grounded.
Give it a whirl and let us know what happens!
Old 03-25-2008 | 06:22 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Good news!

After really looking closely and using my head for a change I found that the switch was sticking and not allowing the contacts to meet. I just drilled it out and now the switch works like a charm........

And so do my brake lights!

Thanks for your response JD I need to pick up one of those testors.............
Old 03-25-2008 | 06:24 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MassGuy
Good news!

After really looking closely and using my head for a change I found that the switch was sticking and not allowing the contacts to meet. I just drilled it out and now the switch works like a charm........

And so do my brake lights!

Thanks for your response JD I need to pick up one of those testors.............
Fantastic! That's great news. Good job on figuring it out.

Quick Reply: My brake lights are not working.....