Sponsored by:

Help needed with side skirts / ground effects on the body

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:23 AM
jsham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed with side skirts / ground effects on the body

When I got my car I redid the rubber molding that goes between the body & the lower side skirt. I have seen a lot of other 964's that the sides look smooth & clean, no large gaps, perfect, etc.
But even after spending the money & time having them redone I.E. molding and some clips, they still don't look right, that gaps seem to large compared to others. This is the spot right in front of the rear wheel were the side skirts split, mine seem to have a large gap, again the others that I have seen look like the gaps are much smaller, flowing, I.E. one piece, etc. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this right, but this is one of the parts on my car that really drives me nuts, I love the clean look and I think this is harming the looks of my car. I love the updated look of the 964 over the 80's cars which included the new front & rear fascia along with the side skirts/flares/ground effects, this one of of the reasons I went with a 964, just one of them.
I looking for some advice on how to clean them up, adjustment, whatever I need to do, if anyone needs pic's I'll be happy to shoot both sides so everyone can see what I'm trying to explain.
I was hoping that others may have dealt with this same thing in the past and maybe able to set me strait on how to clean them up.
Cheers all and thanks in advance for the help & replies,
Attached Images   

Last edited by jsham; 03-22-2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Adding Pictures
Old 03-19-2008, 03:36 AM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures will always help. I sort of have a mental picture of what you are referring to, but just for certain.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:39 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

I think I know what you are saying - have a look at THIS thread and compare to the photos I posted in post #6. Is this the gap you are talking about and how do your gaps compare?

Did you do the replacement seals?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:08 PM
jsham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911URGE
You got it, but my gaps are even a little greater, I will post some pic's later today so you can see. Yes I did the replacement seals (Factory Porsche) just last summer.
Jamie

Last edited by jsham; 03-20-2008 at 03:10 PM. Reason: adding
Old 03-20-2008, 07:10 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same problem and had the seals replaced. One of the problems is that the oil thermostat is on the passenger side right in front of the rear wheel, exposing the rubber seal to a lot of heat, which makes it shrink. There is nothing you can do about that except replace the seal again.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,299 Posts

jamie,

2 things. Do you have any waviness in the panels themselves? If so they might have been repainted and baked improperly. A big mistake some shops do is bake the pieces instead of letting them air cure and the plastic will warp. Secondly when installing the rubber did you check all the plastic clips? They have a tendency to break. I keep a dozen on hand just in case especially since i have 2 of these cars. When installing the rubber you don't want to stretch it. It needs to be bunched a little initially and will dry out and shrink over time. Kind of like sodding your lawn. Always bunch it a little to allow it to shrink into place. It should eventually smooth itself out. Or you can try a hair dryer but be careful not to apply too much heat. This will help it to sit flat.

Quick Reply: Help needed with side skirts / ground effects on the body