Sponsored by:

Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Project

I know, there is no such thing as winter in Florida, but I needed an excuse. I decided to clean up my 964 engine while I did the 60K mile service. Two weeks after I pulled the engine, Life threw me a curve. My wife, Donna, was diagnosed with breast cancer. After a whirlwind of tests and surgery, she is well into chemotherapy with radiation to follow. She's doing OK, but needless to say, the 964 project takes a low priority right now. I'm doing the work at home scheduling around her needs. I'm replacing about every gasket and seal, short of pulling the heads. I rebuilt the distributor and P/S pump just because the parts are cheap. I'm powder coating everything in sight. New belts installed including the P/S belt and distributor belt. Here are some photos. When the engine is finished, it's Bilsteins and a new clutch.
I miss driving the Cab, but am driving the 993 coupe to keep my spirits up.
A few local Rennlist friends have offered to help if I need an extra hand, thanks guys.
Jim, Ron, and Dale...any parts you want powder coated, pull them off, bring them over and we'll do them.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:52 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Great job, that engine looks like new!! Hope your wife is cancer-free soon!!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fred, it must be something about working on the 964. In the midst of my engine pull, my wife was also diagnosed with breast cancer. 2 surgeries, 6 chemo treatments, and 6 weeks of radiation, she has now been cancer free for almost a year and a half. Fair warning, the last couple chemo treatments are very hard both physically and emotionally on the patient. My wife did not want to do her last treatment, but finally gave in. If your wife has to go on Tamoxifin, that also seems to sap energy levels. My best wishes to her and also to you.

Unfortunately, my car is still not together, as my time is very limited with kiddie activities. but spring is almost here and I have the need to drive her again.
BTW, that engine looks fantastic.

Good luck,
Colin
Old 03-17-2008, 11:19 PM
merrick
Instructor

Fred the engine looks amazing! Thanks for posting the pictures.
My thoughts are with you and Colin for your wives to be cancer free soon!
Old 03-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

Thanks guys. Colin, we are on #6 of 16 chemo treatments. Today was the second weekly Paxitaxol. The first 4 were Adriamycin and Cyclophosphamide, the bright red ones. Our prayers to your family, congrats on 1 1/2 years of cancer free.
Working on the 964 is therapy for me.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:22 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Prayers and wishes to your wife & you, Fred. (Certainly puts life's priorities in perspective.)

And, Fred... do me a favor, ok? Splash a little grime on all that silvery stuff. (If only because I'm having trouble ID'ing the various pieces without it.)
Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear about your wife and I hope she is well soon.

Marc
Old 03-18-2008, 02:05 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Your engine looks great but more importantly, my thoughts and prayers go out to you, family and your wife!!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:57 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Fred give my best wishes to Donna. I am trying to get the nerve up to do a valve adjustment on my car so may look into PowderCoating the valve covers. Thanks for the offer. I have to get over to see that master piece in person
If you want to get away come on over and take the Turbo out for another drive to get your mojo back
Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM
flatspin
Advanced

The engine looks great! Hope your wife gets well soon.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:17 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

I can't let my wife read this, she will never let me pull my engine!!!

My thoughts and prayers to you and your wife. Don't spend too much time on the car.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:03 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish your wife the best. I've seen how brutal chemo can be, she's a brave woman. Hopefully all will turn out well, and you both can enjoy some top down driving. Good luck to both of you.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great work Fred. Keep it up, your wife will love you more for spending a little time doing something other than worrying about her.

Don't forget that O ring in the oil sender unit for good measure (prompted by me having found that I need to do mine)
Old 03-18-2008, 08:58 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wishing Donna the best and you strength to help her through it all. My mom was diagnosed stage 4 grade 3 with a very resistant strain (Uterine). Chemo was her only option and today she has been in remission for almost 5 years. Hope and the support of family and friends had a profound impact.

...and the engine looks nice...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

I want to thank you all for your well wishes. Donna does like when I'm tinkering with the car, but I spend most of my time with her when she is home. She works at a local runnung store, Track Shack, (she's a runner, ran the Chicago marathon two weeks before her diagnosis) and works when she can. I use that time to work on the car. I'm proud of her for how well she is taking the chemo.
Boxsey, I changed all o-rings including the oil sender, distributor, P/S housing, P/S pump, fuel injectors and oil bridge to the timing covers. I learned from all you guys.
It has taken since October to get this far and I'm usually pretty fast. (removing the engine/transmission only took 6 hours)
God bless you all and again, thanks for your support.

Quick Reply: Winter Project