Turtle Mk 3: The Previous Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turtle Mk 3: The Previous Evolution

My Turtle is currently being reborn as the mark 2 version. A lot will happen over the next two weeks as it's reassembled and made ready to race on March 28. I thought I might show a bit of the evolution ...

It started life as a 1992 964 that the PO had put a cage in and some Recaro seats but was otherwise mostly stock.
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

It stayed stock for at least one weekend in 2003.
But, I had problems with the brakes, the shocks were shot and it lacked some safety systems.
So,
I added new brakes (big reds in black) to fix the brake problems (didn't work)
I added the new JIC-Cross suspension
I added a fire suppression system (my wife's desire)

Eventually, after replacing the master and slave cylinders, we figured out that it was the ABS pump going bad that was causing the brake fade. A salvaged ABS unit fix the issues.

The Turtle saw few changes over the next 2 years until the engine blew up.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

In deciding what to do about the car with no engine, I had options - sell the thing and buy someone else's race car (should have done it), buy a salvaged donor engine and drop it in and drive until it blew up (what if that's the next race?) or build a new one. I opted to have a new one built to conform to the new GT-Limited class that was to begin the following year in PRC racing.

After the engine was built, my wife and I had a number of talks about what to do and that winter the Turtle was transformed in the the Mark 2 version.
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Turtle Mark 2 was a cosmetic change as much as anything else. RSR body parts to fit the 10.5" and 13" slicks the race class required and down-force additions. Most everything else was about removal of weight. The Turtle mk 1 weighed 2800 lbs. The Turtle mk 2 was reduced to 2450 lbs by removal of everything that was easy to remove and not needed.

I raced the Turtle mk 2 for 2 years. Last year at the season ending race weekend, I saw a guy removed by helicopter after an accident. I looked at his car and compared how his cage had worked to what my cage was. I decided that it was time to get rid of the Safety Devices bolt-in cage (that had been partially welded in) and have a better cage built. My life is worth it.

So, the transformation to the Turtle Mk 3 was begun. The goals are simple - better cage and less weight. The class allows 2300 lbs (with driver) as you exit the track after a race.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

It's a slippery slope we stand on. Can't wait to see the latest itereation.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What, no picture of that huge hole in the bottom of your engine?

Marc
Old 03-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

That photo is too scary to post again. Children might see it and have nightmares for years thinking it could happen their car.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Could you elaborate more on the failure points of the cage in the car where the driver was injured? Type of cage, bolt or weld, 1 door bar, X door bars, what failed, etc...
I remember the hole in the engine pic...pretty scary.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
That photo is too scary to post again. Children might see it and have nightmares for years thinking it could happen their car.

Marc
p.s. not just kids, I have nightmares too!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The accident that I referred to was a cup car and the cage did it's job without issue. They had to cut the cage to get him out, but he has completely recovered. I was worried that my bolt in cage could not provide a similar degree of protection and decided to ensure I got similar protection. The new cage extends to the front shock towers and has much better side protection. The old cage started at the front edge of the door and had a single side protection bar. The old cage was also criticized as having too many bends and no true diagonal brace in the main roll hoop.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:28 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

See you there Tom, will you be there Friday too?

When are we going to start seeing MKIII pics? It's getting close to the 28th ya know!!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:30 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Oops, I missed it: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/417471-turtle-mk-3-the-cage.html
Old 03-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kenny: I will be there Friday too. The folks at Jerry Woods have a very tight schedule with lots of people doing lots of tasks to get the Turtle re-assembled in the next 10 days. While a few MoTeC sensors may not be completed by the 27th, we think it will be ready to start running. Being as it's a turtle, I'll make sure to take it slow. I'll have a number of "Turtle Mk 3" posts coming in the next couple weeks. The cage is the only one that's live now as nothing else is completed yet.

Quick Reply: Turtle Mk 3: The Previous Evolution