Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Paris & taking the car with me!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Moving to Paris & taking the car with me!

Hello all!

Slightly OT I know...but since many 964 owners are from the UK.

I'm moving to Paris in May from the UK and want to take the 964 with me. Has anyone done this before & knows what I need to do to get the car registered in France (incl. costs involved) & any insurance companies that will take my UK no claims bonus into account?

Can anyone recommend a good place in or near to Paris to get the car serviced too?

Many thanks!

Andy
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you still have a residential address in the UK once you move I wouldn't reregister, just keep your UK plates and spend the money on a garage where you can keep the car.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, at least the steering wheel will be on the right (that is, Correct) side.

Good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep - wheel on the right side. Just need to buy some new headlights & I'd be set.

I have considered the idea of keeping it registered in the UK at my parents or brothers place, but I don't imagine moving back to the UK and it would be a pain to have to come back just for the MOT etc. My wife is Italian and she is pulling me towards Bologna - maybe in the next 5 years or so! Paris is sort of half way...!

Don't most UK insurance companies put a limit on how long the car can be out of the country for? I guess my premium would be weighted for having it in Paris versus the UK too.

The car WILL be garaged in Paris at a place just around the corner for our apartment!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

You may have to take it back to the UK once a year or maybe every 6 months, I don't remember. My (brit) next door neighbour here in tuscany keeps his car registered in the uk as insurance and roadtax cost him (a lot) less, not really sure if he tells the insurance company the car spends most of its time in Italy but it doesn't really matter as long as you have the green slip for travelling abroad.

Above all that, I know they're a bit funny in France, but in Italy with UK plates you won't even get fines!

P.S.- I'd pick Bologna over Paris anyday, better quality of life, better weather and much much better roads...

P.P.S.- What do you need an MOT for on the continent, unless your insurance co. requires it? And in any case I'm sure you'll go back to the UK at least once a year
Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, I agree -Bologna would be much better! I'm sick of the crap weather we have in the UK (espcially as I go back from California yesterday where it was 23 degrees and it's 8 here...! I'll ring the insurance Company!

I'll need an MOT to get it road taxed in the UK. The tax can be done on-line which is one thing less to worry about. It's just the MOT that I'd have to come back to the UK for.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:02 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

How is it driving on the wrong side of the road? I am looking at a transfer to Scotland next year. So I would have my left hand drive car in a right hand country.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steve - It's not really a problem. The car is very narrow compared to most so overtaking isn't a problem. You also get out onto the pavement when parking! The only pain is at car parks etc when you have to reach across the car to take the ticket etc from the barrier. It is fun at toll booths throwing the money out of the sun roof into the bucket that catches the toll though!!
Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Andy,

I have an LHD car which I need RHD headlights for it so if you wanted to save some cash and do a straight swap it would save me some cash in the process too
Old 03-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

It's fine unless you have to overtake, then you have to keep well back to see what's coming on the other side.

P.S.- From california to scotland, I feel for you...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Howley
Hi Andy,

I have an LHD car which I need RHD headlights for it so if you wanted to save some cash and do a straight swap it would save me some cash in the process too
Hi Jim! That might work if I do decide to register the car in Paris. A trip to Leeds might be a bit of a hassle though! You not working in Waterloo anymore then?
Old 03-05-2008, 01:22 PM
adamfogerty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
Yes, I agree -Bologna would be much better! I'm sick of the crap weather we have in the UK (espcially as I go back from California yesterday where it was 23 degrees and it's 8 here...! I'll ring the insurance Company!

I'll need an MOT to get it road taxed in the UK. The tax can be done on-line which is one thing less to worry about. It's just the MOT that I'd have to come back to the UK for.
Same applies for the road tax though...why would you need UK road tax in France if you don't intend on coming back?

I know of a couple of people in the reverse situation - Folks driving French-registered cars here. They never bothered registering them with the UK DVLA because it being a foreign registered car meant they didn't have to pass the local inspection test...and they didn't need to pass their home inspection test because they weren't driving there...so it worked out cheap for them....it's also a loophole that allows people to (potentially) drive around in un-tested death traps.

As for insurance...I've no idea I'm afraid!

Adam
Old 03-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Andy, I've heard from friends who have bought cars in germany to get Italian reg costs anywhere from €1200-2000 and about 3-6 months depending on how much you do yourself and how much you do through agencies. I would imagine France is pretty similar (same screwed up bureaucracy) and I seriously doubt you can convert your no claims unless you use the same co. if that's possible.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Tuscany964
Racer

Originally Posted by adamfogerty
Same applies for the road tax though...why would you need UK road tax in France if you don't intend on coming back?

I know of a couple of people in the reverse situation - Folks driving French-registered cars here. They never bothered registering them with the UK DVLA because it being a foreign registered car meant they didn't have to pass the local inspection test...and they didn't need to pass their home inspection test because they weren't driving there...so it worked out cheap for them....it's also a loophole that allows people to (potentially) drive around in un-tested death traps.

As for insurance...I've no idea I'm afraid!

Adam

+1

The only problem could be if the insurance co requires road tax and MOT. Otherwise forget the lot.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tuscany964
+1

The only problem could be if the insurance co requires road tax and MOT. Otherwise forget the lot.
Unless I had an accident. I guess the insurance Company wouldn't pay out on a car that wasn't taxed or MOT'd.

Quick Reply: Moving to Paris & taking the car with me!