Sponsored by:

Oil level dips when I maintain 4K rpm for a while

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:46 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil level dips when I maintain 4K rpm for a while

Hi boys. My 964 has been a gem for the street. So I took her for a 500miles drive over the weekend.

Everything's good until I hit 125mph & above or going 4K+Rpm for more than 5mins. The oil level which is next to the gas meter drops to red, so I backed off & cruised along @ 100mph or 3.8KRpm & the oil level will go back up without any issues. I checked my dipstick before the trip & during mid point & the oil level is good @ the mid-point mark while I topped up a 500ml.

Sadly I was never able to go pass 130mph which the chassis & tyres are far capable of handling.

No warning lights ever showed up on the dash.

Otherwise I've never experienced such a problem even when I do fast drive, I sometimes change gears above 5kRpm but only for an instant so it has never been an issue.

Is my oil pump not keeping up or could it be a faulty sensor?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

As far as I am aware the level indicator should go down to the red when the engine is being revved. The needle will only raise when the car is at idle and show a clear indiaction on level ground. Dry sump engine. Someone else should be able to confirm this.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the oil level guage is only accurate at a stop after the car has warmed up. Mine does not even work while I am driving, however my oil level is fine.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Originally Posted by meek
As far as I am aware the level indicator should go down to the red when the engine is being revved. The needle will only raise when the car is at idle and show a clear indiaction on level ground. Dry sump engine. Someone else should be able to confirm this.
That's an interesting observation. I had two 90s dry sump Ferraris but the oil level never went red when I stretch them (I stretched a Testa @ 170mph for 1.5hrs non-stop without issues). Maybe different makes, but I'm not taking chances for the moment.

Can any gurus chip in?

The needle does have it's own mind. It would sometimes dip to red & stay there even when I cruise @ no more than 60mph but it will come up again after the next stop some 20mins later but it's been fine lately.

A friend told me as long as the check engine lights come up, it would be fine.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With roughly 12 quarts of oil in there and no James Bond oil slick coming out the back, you should be okay. Based on Adrian's book, what you experienced is normal. The guage is only accurate at stand still, flat ground, and at operating temp.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

If in doubt, watch the oil pressure. Cross-check the gage with the dip stick, but only at idle on level ground when the engine is hot.

The early 911s had wide-range oil level gages, but for some reason the 964 system covers only the top of the tank. It is normal for the gage in a 964 to dip into the red, especially when the oil is cold. The needle should point to about 3 o'clock when idling with the engine at operating temperature.

Many get alarmed by the low-level indication, and over-fill the system. Then when the oil is hot, the overflow goes into the intake system and makes a mess of things. Don't fall into that trap.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Like said above the oil level gage should be in or near the red when driving. It is only read at idle on a flat surface. if its up while running either the gage is bad or you are over filled.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:17 AM
lunchboxbill
Instructor

Originally Posted by NineEleven
The oil level which is next to the gas meter drops to red, so I backed off & cruised along @ 100mph or 3.8KRpm & the oil level will go back up without any issues.
Lovin it - cruising at a ton - I haven't plucked up the courage to go beyond that yet - i really need a trip to germany or the track!!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Not gone over a ton..... hard to do in a Porsche...gets there so easily.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Seight
Instructor

You can COMPLETELY ignore that level guage while driving the car. The only time it is used is when the engine is warm and idling for at least 30 seconds. The guage will slowly rise and indicate to you the level of oil in the tank. You don't really want the guage to register anything more than horizontal (3 o'clock). Also make sure the engine is fully warmed up or the guage will under-read.
It clearly states in your manual for the 964 to ignore this guage while driving. If your oil pressure is good and temperature is good then all is well. And driving at any speed, let alone over 125mph the guage will probably point at the red, but I say again, ignore it.

Hope this helps.

Alex
Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Seight
You can COMPLETELY ignore that level guage while driving the car. The only time it is used is when the engine is warm and idling for at least 30 seconds. The guage will slowly rise and indicate to you the level of oil in the tank. You don't really want the guage to register anything more than horizontal (3 o'clock). Also make sure the engine is fully warmed up or the guage will under-read.
It clearly states in your manual for the 964 to ignore this guage while driving. If your oil pressure is good and temperature is good then all is well. And driving at any speed, let alone over 125mph the guage will probably point at the red, but I say again, ignore it.

Hope this helps.

Alex
+1 ,It just tells you that oil is moving out of the oil tank into the system and all is well (at speed that is)!!

Rob
Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
NineEleven
Instructor

Originally Posted by springer3
If in doubt, watch the oil pressure. Cross-check the gage with the dip stick, but only at idle on level ground when the engine is hot.

The early 911s had wide-range oil level gages, but for some reason the 964 system covers only the top of the tank. It is normal for the gage in a 964 to dip into the red, especially when the oil is cold. The needle should point to about 3 o'clock when idling with the engine at operating temperature.

Many get alarmed by the low-level indication, and over-fill the system. Then when the oil is hot, the overflow goes into the intake system and makes a mess of things. Don't fall into that trap.
Thank you guys! Looks like I was over concerned & thought the engine was starved of oil or a spoilt sensor.

Oil was hot while running @ that speed for sure & the oil pressure kept well near full 5 marks when she's on the move.

The previous mech. overfilled her & I smoked out when I did a fast corner....
Old 03-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to much oil in your motor , imho .
When you have the motor good and hot and you are stopped and the motor is at idle , what does the oil level needle point to ?

Quick Reply: Oil level dips when I maintain 4K rpm for a while