Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud gurgling noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting... I don't have any gurgles but I do get some weird noises when cold...
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

I agree with all that the gurgling is normal.

The metallic squeaking that sounds like a belt for a few seconds is probably your power steering unit. Check the level with a flashlight (in front of the oil filler cap) - the upper and lower marks are only a mm or two away from each other. Once I leveled my fluid (Dexron2 or Dexron3) the sound went away.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:45 PM
964Patrick
Instructor

So, yesterday I took her for a longer drive. On startup same symptoms. squeaking and gurgling noises, high oil pressure (4 bar). After some 15 mins of driving, the oil temperature falls back from the third mark (8h or so) to about halfway above the second mark (7h or so). I presume from the thermostat opening. Oil pressure @ idle returns to normal too (~1,5 bar). Checked oil level, halfway so should be good.

On warm start it made some strange noises, not sure if that's abnormal.

What's odd, is that the noises have much reduced when starting this morning. Still gurgling, but at normal levels. Squeaking noise was almost absent. I guess that's a good thing, but I can't put my finger to it. I've checked the power steering level. It's halfway between min/max, so that should be ok.

I don't think any of this is weather related, as this has been a squeaking/gurgle-free car for the last four years. I know there's much ado about global warming, but it's not so noticeable over here (yet).

I'll keep a close watch on this. Maybe some part is on it's way out? Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Willie P
Instructor

gurgler here...especially when cold. (93 964 c2, 75k miles)

w.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gurgling on a cold start up , the oil in the case gets picked up by the scavenging pump and sent to the tank . The oil is thick , when the scavenging pump picks up the thick oil it also picks up gulps of air , this oil air mixture gets sent to the tank . A slug of oil a gulp of air a slug of oil , after all the thick oil from the case gets picked up the gurgling stops . The oil thats now in the case is frothy oil , a much more uniform mixture of oil and air , an oil foam . When the oil foam "hits" the tank it is not loud .
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

964Patrick So, yesterday I took her for a longer drive. On startup same symptoms. squeaking and gurgling noises, high oil pressure (4 bar). After some 15 mins of driving, the oil temperature falls back from the third mark (8h or so) to about halfway above the second mark (7h or so). I presume from the thermostat opening. Oil pressure @ idle returns to normal too (~1,5 bar). Checked oil level, halfway so should be good.

On warm start it made some strange noises, not sure if that's abnormal.

What's odd, is that the noises have much reduced when starting this morning. Still gurgling, but at normal levels. Squeaking noise was almost absent. I guess that's a good thing, but I can't put my finger to it. I've checked the power steering level. It's halfway between min/max, so that should be ok.

I don't think any of this is weather related, as this has been a squeaking/gurgle-free car for the last four years. I know there's much ado about global warming, but it's not so noticeable over here (yet).

I'll keep a close watch on this. Maybe some part is on it's way out? Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions.
Patrick
did you ever get to the bottom of your unusually high oil pressure at idle? Bet you can't guess why I ask
Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
brogich
Advanced

I love this forum! For whatever reason my oil gauge was pegged in the red all the way to work this morning (45 mins) except when stopped then it would slide up to about mid point. In the past it would be about midpoint and all the way to the top at idle. In addition I noticed the "gurgling" that everyone agrees is normal! After reading this discussion I understand now that the gurgling is normal - but where should the gauge be when driving vs. idle! Any gauge in the red is scary !

Thanks
Old 09-09-2008, 11:37 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

The gauge should only come up from the red when the engine is idling. Under driving conditions, it always drops down to the red. I have noticed that when my oil level is spot on, the needle sits at the top of the red mark when driving; when the oil is a bit low, the needle drops into the red. Mind you, I think that may just be my gauge; I don't think they are that accurate.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:14 PM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

+ 1 on the gurgling, mine does it only in the winter, say below 40 degrees

Quick Reply: Loud gurgling noise