Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you overheat your power steering system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008 | 10:39 AM
deoxford
Pro

Default Can you overheat your power steering system?

At the last track event I noticed that I had power steering fluid leaking in the engine bay after a session of hard turning.

Can these systems overheat and leak
OR do I have a issue that I don't know about.
Old 02-25-2008 | 06:37 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Derek:

From what I saw the reservoir was filled near the top. Oil expands quite a bit with temperature (witness the behavior of the oil level gage as you warm up). I think you got hot enough to push some fluid out, but I doubt it was overheating. PS systems are pretty simple - I think you would have other symptoms if there was a malfunction.

If you go with the by-pass on the rack hydraulics, be sure to leave a little air in there for expansion. Lets trade driving impressions after I install the manual rack. I hate to think I spent the big bucks when there was a cheap/easy fix.

Is the old suspension for sale?
Old 02-25-2008 | 10:42 PM
Bituman
Advanced

Derek you can absolutely overheat your PS system as evidenced by most 4-wheelers using some type of cooling. But I agree with Springer and don't think that is your problem. You either got some fluid that sloshed out due to expansion or there is a leak. As I understand it, when PS fluid gets too hot (repeatedly) you will damage your PS pump which means you have to use armstrong steering and you will hear the pump making noise. I don't think leaks are common symptom of overheated PS fluid. In my old Bronco buildup I installed a PS pump heat exchanger due to the use of 33" tires, relatively small radiator fan, hot Phoenix climate, etc. I just don't think you have same issues with a 964, even on a track. Good luck!

Bob
(Here's the cooler I used.)
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2008 | 10:54 PM
deoxford
Pro

Thanks, I think there must be a small leak some where on the hose coming off the pump or it was way to full.
It does make some noise now , but it is also low on fluid.

I hope it is not a leak , I don't have alot of time to come up with a solution

Springer , sell your rack?

Quick Reply: Can you overheat your power steering system?