Back together again, but have a hick up

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back together again, but have a hick up

Hello fellow Rennlisters!

I finally got the 89 964 maintenance project completed this evening (see items below). Fired the engine and it started and died often and randomly. I decided it was just having trouble purging the air from the fuel filter, lines and injectors. But alas I don't think thats the case.

A quick check found a very small leak at fuel inlet side of the new fuel filter. Corrected that and no joy. Verified timing on both distributors and they are both at a degree or two btdc at idle. The spec is 0 +- 3 deg btdc. So thats not it. Plug wire routing looks good.

I decided to charge the battery, since its been sitting a while while down for the maintenance. It was a little low and I know the 964 is sensitive to low battery voltage. So I'll be troubleshooting this evening after supper. I'm sure I shot myself in the foot, so below is a list of items I'll have to backtrack on as it was running perfectly before the maintenance work.

Installed new:
timing chain cover gaskets
TC bridge O rings
distributor belt
dist O ring
VC gaskets top and bottom
adjust valves
clean and respray the engine tin
change the 12 plugs (Bosch FR 5 DTC) Took out Beru's that looked great fwiw
replaced assorted bushings and bolts
repaired engine blower resistor
inspected engine for other leaks (one drain tube, may be weeping a tiny bit)
replaced broken high tension clips
changed fuel filter
oil and filter (today)
air filter

Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks,
Old 02-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The wires to the air flow meter problem ?
They are a known trouble spot .
Thats my wild **** guess .
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Lynn,

Vacuum lines?
ISV?
Crossed plug wires?
Coils?

Looking forward to our next meeting at TP. On me this time. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Steve
Old 02-22-2008, 11:27 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Does it just stop running? Like it lost power?
If so my first guess is always that stupid DME relay.

Kirk
Old 02-23-2008, 12:53 AM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Running fine now......thanks for the replies

Hi Guys,

Well, after backtracking and checking all my work, I decided it must be the CPS. I made a feeble attempt to clean some grease from around it last night and figured I must have gotten grease over the face somehow. Gap was on the money and the face was clean, flywheel looked clean too. Darn.

So I let the battery charge for an hour, restarted and let it idle for about 5 minutes, no further problem. I then tried a little feathering up on the throttle and it didn't like that at all and would miss and die repeatedly.

So, I decide the fuel lines/filter/injectors must still have some air in them, though I did not see how, as much as the engine had been run. I bled the rail at the pressure test port with my fuel pressure gauge. Capped it back up and decided to see if it would run on the street at all. Removed the battery charger and off I go. Car ran fine idling around, easy acceleration presented no problem and 4500 in 4th was smooth as silk. Ran about 6 miles and turned around and poured the coal to it. 6,800 through the first four gears and car ran like a scalded dog. No missing, nada. Perfect!

Pulled into the garage and engine ran as smoothly as ever and never offered to die. Conclusion:

A) Low battery?
B) Fuel system is difficult to purge the air out of after a filter change
C) Combination of A and B

Whatever it was, it has obviously cured itself but I wish I could definitively say I found the cause. But hey, she's a running sweet now so I'll keep an eye and ear close for a while. Thanks for all he suggestions. You guys are great.

Quick Reply: Back together again, but have a hick up