Sponsored by:

Inexpensive supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:17 AM
mada1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inexpensive supercharger

Wouldn't it be cool if someone came up with a supercharger that was 1-2 grand. I look at the pix of them online and there doesn't seem like there is that much to them. Am I missing something?

http://www.fvd.de/?VID=615875&VCD=35...Body=&CarYear=
Old 02-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Am I missing something?"
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-SU...spagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...spagenameZWDVW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...link:middle:us

There are now tons of used eaton blowers floating around on the used market , they are cheap .
Getting one to work well and not blow up your motor is the trick .
Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Yup, you can install an Eaton non-intercooled supercharger on the cheap. Oh, by the way, running it at 5psi will increase your intake air temps by 100 F because of how inefficient they are. No thanks.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:02 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done the research... there is no cheap way to put a supercharger on our cars. Period.
Even if you find a cheap S/C unit, the unproven interface of that unit will cost you in development.
Fitting custom intercoolers, piggyback computers, dyno time and tuning.... the list goes on and on.
Bill
Old 02-19-2008, 06:01 PM
GT3'sRFree
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Supercharger

It would be better and cheaper to make me an offer on the TPC kit w/intercooler on my car.

I had no plans to sell but I may be able to convince a friend to sell me a 3.8 motor out of a 993.

Ha! Ha!

It never ends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:40 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem is the supercharger is the simplest piece of equipment involved in the supercharging project.

You have to reduce compression, so you need to either buy new pistons or machine the ones you have
You need different size injectors, or extra injectors in the airflow for fuelling
You need mounts and brackets for the SC
You need custom front pulleys, so you can get a belt on the SC
You need something to map new fuelling for your engine. Which requires either an aftermarket ECU or piggyback computer
If you are going to do enough boost to make it worth your effort you will need something for charge cooling (intercooler)

And the list goes on.

Somehow it makes a depressingly simple concept become an expensive year long project.

Kirk
Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inexpensive supercharger
These two words don't belong in the same sentence unless you want to build a hand grenade
Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Don Nguyen
Racer

Are there any custom turbo set ups out there? This seems like it would be easier to do, since there would be readily available turbo headers already available.

Getting big injectors wouldn't be too hard, same with an intercooler, and the IC piping can be made/fabricated.

The hardest part I would assume is the tuning. Seems like a lot of Porsche guys run megasquirt?

Are there any thicker head gasket options, for those who do not want to get low comp pistons?
Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I havent seen any cost effective turbo conversions. They seem to cost around $15k USD.
The heads use a sealing ring between the head and cylinder, no headgasket so the idea of reducing compression that way isnt really an option.

You could put a shim at the base of the cylinder to reduce compression, but as I understand it, if you do this it will set your deck height outside of an optimum range and you will see increased detonation.

For my motor I had the piston crowns machined down to reduce compression to 9:1

Kirk
Old 03-11-2008, 05:23 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The day someone comes up with inexpensive forced induction is the day I start looking for new employment... It just can't be done safely, there are litereally teams of us all over the world trying to tackle this as economically as possible and still keep things daily-driver reliable. For all the reasons mentioned above, "Cheap SuperCharging" or "Cheap Turbo Setup" is as feasble as sasquatch.

Its a fairly simple concept, but theres a lot more to it once you get into it.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive supercharger