Sponsored by:

Decals vs. Magnets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:58 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Decals vs. Magnets?

I know... "Ron, only you can decide...", but I'm sure I'm not the first to go through this questioning...

New DE car is a white 964. I've secured #106 for it (vs. 601 for my 997S - just chance). I'm going to have Charlie make up some Carrera Cup Roundels and the debate is decal vs. magnet. I'll be driving the car on the street a bit (not as much as the 997S but surely to the track, around town a little, etc.). So part of me thinks magnets so I can put them on when needed. But then part thinks "why not just do decals..." My concern is I'll do decals and then get tired of the looks or being a "target" and pull them off and then order magnets.

So, anyone go through this? Anyone drive on the street with a car with Roundels?

All I'm doing is the Porsche visor decals and the roundels - no additional livery.

Ron
Old 02-11-2008, 02:07 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The ricers would harass you at all the stop lights
Old 02-11-2008, 02:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Pros and cons to both.

Magnets cons:
The magnets can be lost. One of mine flew away at VIR at 140mph. So you need to tape them down. You forget to bring them with you. You also need to remove them immediately when not used as they will get moisture behind and it will ruin the paint. They can warp or crack if not stored properly.

Pros:
Easily removed so you don't have a 'pull me over sign' on the side of your car traveling too and from the track. Can always make up new ones if you don't like the style. Can be moved around the car until you find the right place for them.

Decals Cons:
One shot deal. If you don't want them on the car for some reason you need to purchase again to replace. I have seen cars with them on for a long time and when finally removed the paint faded around them leaving a discoloring mark. Makes you an easy target for cops and most people look at you like your crazy or a threat if you drive around with numbers on the car. Could peal new paint off the car when trying to remove.

Pros:
Easy one shot deal. Put on leave on. Weigh far less and less potential drag over the magnets. Look professional.

A set of magnets will run around $80 on average and never hurt to have if you plan on using the numbers for years to come. If you plan on driving on the street I think it is the best way to go. Otherwise decals.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:56 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine leaving my numbers on the car even for the limited street driving I do. The few times I've left them on just long enough to drive home from the track, I've felt very conspicuous. As someone else said, every zit faced ricer on the road will try to race you and to the cops, its a bull's eye (as if driving a 911 isn't bad enough on its own).
Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Magnets can easily be stored stuck to the inside your front hood (unless it is Alu or CF) so they are always there and can't get lost or bent.

I have done over 140 mph max and not lost a magnetic number but now routinely tape the leading edge.

I have had some paint discolouration under the magnetic number after a track weekend in the rain but, as soon as it bakes in the sun, it returns to normal.

Marc
Old 02-11-2008, 03:31 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys... As you can see from my avatar, I have 601 in magnet and it works fine. But, this will be a more DE focused car, thus the question...

As to the challenges as the stop lights - I get them in my 997S without decals, my Audi A4, etc. I think any Porsche has some degree of "look at / ticket me"...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:36 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 462 Posts

I'm a fan of decals... had them on a street registered race car for 14 or so years... doesn't bother me and I like the looks of decals much better than magnets. Plus, it's annoying when they blow off, so you end up taping them all up, which looks even more scrappy!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I do the magnets myself, but then the dedicated racecar has stickers...lots of them.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:46 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Not sure if this changes matters... Car has a DAS roll bar in White (to go with the color of the car), Recaro Pole Positions, Battery Disconnect w/ warning decal, US Cup front tow hook in red... So there are a few elements that are track oriented... Still undecided

Last edited by RonCT; 02-11-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Not sure if this changes matters... Car has a DAS roll bar in White (to go with the color of the car), Recaro Pole Positions, Batter Disconnect w/ warning decal, US Cup front tow hook in red... So there are a few elements that are track oriented... Still undecided
Mine has the same stuff. Although I like to drive it on the street too. I get a totally different look when in the car with and without the numbers. Without the numbers people seem to look at the car in a lustful way, with the numbers it is more like, "Yeah what does this old fart think he is attitude".
Old 02-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Decals on magnet. Easy on/off and to change numbers (a DE may not give you the number you want or had last time).

p.s. a thin piece of clear tape on the top and leading edge as safety recommended.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:11 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
"Yeah what does this old fart think he is attitude".
*DING* we have a winner. I think you just really helped me figure this out... Driving around town with my car numbers on it is going to really raise eyebrows. The roll bar, seats, etc. won't be noticed much...

Hate to admit it, but in my helmet nobody can see the graying / balding head - I could be me or my 18 year old son (who also DE's)... But around town is different (unless I force myself to wear a hat every time I take a drive).

Car on trailer and on track - decals. Car on street - magnets...
Old 02-11-2008, 07:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I had Charlie create magnetic roundels for me, they turned out great. I've driven the car to about 130 at the Glen with no issues. On and off in seconds.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:48 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the "Cling" vinyl ? just wet it and stick it on and peal it off when done.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT

Car on trailer and on track - decals. Car on street - magnets...
I think you have it!

Quick Reply: Decals vs. Magnets?