Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An odd buzzing noise in my dash (see video)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:58 PM
mshobe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An odd buzzing noise in my dash (see video)

Please check out this quick video I shot; the only sound you hear is the very strange buzzing noise coming from either my clock or perhaps my climate control unit — I really can't tell.

The video description: "From my '89 Porsche 911 (type 964). This noise just started on really cold days in the winter. Seems to go away once the car warms up, but until then, curiously, it continues even after the ignition is cut and the key is out."

Anyone ever seen/heard something similar? I don't want to go tearing gauges out of the dash unless I really, really have to.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

??? odd buzz - since it continues AFTER the key is out, look at the climate control fan in the rear of the CCU.

I would suggest removing the clock as that is the EASIEST gauge to remove. That should give you a quick reference as to where the buss originates.

To reinstall the clock gauge, just use a bit of soap liquid on the outer edge.

Keep us updated.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:37 PM
mshobe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

climate control fan in the rear of the CCU sounds like a candidate; didn't even realize it had one. One easy way to test that would be to pull the fuse for the CCU entirely, wouldn't it? Maybe I should attempt something similar for the clock/gauge panel if the CCU fuse test doesn't reveal the culprit. #11 controls the clock, #28 the "control unit" (does that mean CCU?)
Old 02-09-2008, 05:48 PM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default May be a loose ground

I had a similar buzzing and it was caused by a loose ground wire at the back of one of the wire bundles that clamp into the back of the CCU.
It's easy to remove the CCU from the dash using the radio removal prongs and if you don't pull the CCU out too far you will be able to check wiring connections on the two terminal clamps. If you do pull too far without unlatching the connector strips you may very well loosen some of the connections - ask me how I know.
Ground wires are brown and IIRC there is at least one per terminal strip. In my case the culprit was near the end.
BTW, credit goes to Loren for diagnosing my problem, but don't blame him if my suggestion is wrong.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

The CCU is powered by fuse #1. The reason I know this is that I have spent the last 3 weekends troubleshooting a high current draw and have isolated the problem to the CCU.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:00 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mshobe

Anyone ever seen/heard something similar? I don't want to go tearing gauges out of the dash unless I really, really have to.
Yes same in mine. I'd heard it was normal and nothing to worry about but might investigate further, given the replies above.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:37 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

did you guys ever work this out ... confirmed as the ccu fan?
other forum 1
other forum 2

its seems it must be ... off after about 15 min ,,,, takes varying time to shut off ...
had me worried there for a mo - side affect of working late at night in a quiet place lol
things starting getting 'strange' ...

(was worried the fuel pump wasn't switching off .. gladly it isn't that)

Last edited by HiWind; 12-15-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-24-2013, 04:18 PM
cup997laurent
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Didn't saw your video , but i had a noise in my 993 tt climate control, which didn't stopped when ignition was off. I changed the unit and the noise was off. It seems to be a faulty sensor in the unit, so the small fan is working too long and it comes noisy . Don't know if you can have it repaired, if not , a new one is not cheap.
Merry Christmas...
Old 12-24-2013, 04:39 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks Laurent!
Old 07-22-2016, 02:10 AM
nine11speedster
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know this is an old thread, but I was able to locate where this strange buzz came from. I hope this photo helps whoever is having the same problem.

Quick Reply: An odd buzzing noise in my dash (see video)