H&R Colors, Spring Rates

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:33 AM
denver88carrera
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default H&R Colors, Spring Rates

All:

I am getting ready to order H&R springs and Bilstein HD's for my 1991 C2 Turbo but wanted to clarify something first. I have found various threads in the archives here referring to green, red, and black H&R springs for 964s with some even quoting different spring rates for different colors. I asked this question of a representative at Tire Rack and he called H&R. They told him that they currently change between blue, gray, green, and black regularly without altering the spring rate. None of the other vendors I spoke to could confirm what color they had and all only showed one part number spring for the 964.

Can anyone confirm this for me? Is there just one 946 H&R spring out there (which apparently goes quite well with Bilstein HDs), or do I need to be looking for anything in particular? As a final check, am I also correct that the C2T and NA 964's take the same Bilstein shocks and H&R springs?

Thank you,

Kevin
Old 02-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I was also under the impression that the turbo shocks and springs were different? (or at least the poundage/spring rates are)
Old 02-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

H&R list distinct parts for the Turbo and N/A cars. Part number 29834 for the Turbo (and, curiously, the RS America) and 29813 for the C2/C4.

My understanding is that the former are often referred to as the "Red" springs and the latter as the "Green" springs. The "Greens" lower the car slightly more than the "Reds" - at the front anyway - and are a little softer. You can check it out here on the H&R web site.

The Bilstein struts are the same for N/A and Turbo cars although you should check what is required for the rear since I don't know if the rear mount was changed on the Turbo as it was on the N/A cars in 1990 although since the Turbo is later it's likely it has the later fitment.

Regards

Dave
Old 02-03-2008, 02:10 PM
denver88carrera
Rennlist Member

Thank you guys. Although some part vendors appear content to ignore the distinction, there definitely are two different part numbers for turbo and NA 964s. I hadn't seen that page on the H&R website previously.

I'm curious about the Bilsteins and will check into this further.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 02-03-2008, 03:17 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin, see this thread for the difference between the rear shocks. It's a simple visual inspection to see which type you have:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/334944-91-rear-shocks-on-a-90-a.html

FWIW, my 91 n/a has the new style.

Last edited by MisterRisky; 02-03-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:39 PM
denver88carrera
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the link MisterRisky. I could only get eyes on the driver's rear shock without pulling a bunch of parts out but it looked most like the new style one to me. I've found multiple threads suggesting that PN B46-1547 is the correct rear shock for a '91 Turbo and TireRack's suggested part agrees with this.

Kevin

Quick Reply: H&R Colors, Spring Rates