Sponsored by:

A Cayenne editorial; not for its' proponents:

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Perhaps his issue is with the GTS timing/market placement, not the Cayenne lineup in general?

The 968 was a great vehicle (Harm Lagaay called it the most beautiful Porsche), but it was at the wrong time in the company's history, so it was killed.

The GTS perhaps should have come first, then the AWD version...much like the progression in the Carreras?
I don't read it that way it appears to me he has an issue with the Cayenne in general, or more so Porsche making an SUV. I agree the 968 was a great car so was the 928GTS. As you say timing and financial issues killed these cars. Another thing that killed these cars was the sudden interest in the US for large Sport Utility Vehicles and the demise of sports cars for many manufacturers during the mid 90's.

Originally Posted by slowhand
Down here in Texas we love all things large, especially Trucks and SUV's. To say that Porsche sells a large amount of the Cayenne vehicles is an understatement. However, there is generally two types of buyers for this class of vehicle here-Country club/soccer moms who want tp drive something expensive that the "Masses" can't afford and thereby cementing their status, and the true users who hunt, fish, camp, and haul. For the first group, Porsche had hit the jackpot. Forget that most Cayennes will never see a day offroad and who can blame them? I don't know about you, but the thought of scratching the expensive paint job in some offroad brush or bending an expensive wheel on a rock is not something I would relish. That's why people who really need and use a 4-wheeler usually buy a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota for their needs. They won't go 130mph on the road but who cares? They will go 90mph all day on the highway and still haul a camping trailer through mud and rough trails to get back to nature.And don't forget that these vehicles are cheaper to purchase and repair. By the way, who in his right mind would drive a large vehicle at 130mph anyway? And why the rush to get from 0-70 when you are hauling a trailer? Don't get me wrong here, I am all for Porsche satisfying the SUV market to make a profit. I am also impressed with their technical ability to get as much performance as they do out of such a large vehicle. But in MHO, I would rather see them produce a truly technical tour-de-force of a 4-seater that would showcase the Porsche philosophy-lightweight,fast,supreme handling, and sleek "design with a purpose" that has characterized the Porsche since it's inception. If Ferrari can do it, you know that Porsche can do it and cheaper as well.
I have owned many SUV's over the years starting back in 1985. Nothing compares to the Cayenne and I mean nothing. A cayenne at 130 IMO is far safer than anything on the market today at 90mph. Can out brake, out handle and can be controlled over rough surfaces better or threshold conditions. Yes all these cars are plagued by Soccer Moms and people looking to be seen in their expensive cars. This includes 75% of most Porsche's sold today including the 911.

I have the Cayenne Technical Information book issued by Porsche which is an interesting read about 300 pages. It explains their approach and reasoning behind the Cayenne and it makes a lot of sense. The Cayenne is a test bed for the upcoming Panamera and other cars in general. It took a lot of guts to take on the SUV market and make a vehicle that is so diversified. I use mine to tow and go offroad and it gathers groceries and takes us skiing. Best yet it excites you when you drive vs just transportation, gadgets and glits which is the feeling I get from driving the competition. It is a perfect all around vehicle and would prefer to drive it over any Ford, Dodge or Chevy or European SUV. BTW I drive a Chevy avalanche as a DD just because i commute on one of the worst roads on the East coast 6 days a week. The CT is too nice for that and the Chevy is expendable. Anyone who says the Cayenne is a waste or unnecessary has never driven one (except for Larry) I for one being a Porsche enthusiast and multiple Porsche owner for more than 25 years just wish they had something like this back 25 years ago.

Originally Posted by elbeee964
Frankly, it sounds like the guy just needs his wick dipped.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I got one as a loaner once. Did not like it and never again as my Lexus LX470(Land Cruiser) works much better for me. Like the lovers will say...I don't get it!
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I got one as a loaner once. Did not like it and never again as my Lexus LX470(Land Cruiser) works much better for me. Like the lovers will say...I don't get it!
I am assuming it was a V6 with coil spring suspension?

BTW did Joe ever help you on the Alfa?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am assuming it was a V6 with coil spring suspension?

BTW did Joe ever help you on the Alfa?
Yes and yes. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 PM
Bituman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is a grain of truth in his message...

On the other hand, it isn't like Porsche was marketing a pickup! Actually, now that I think about it, that would be pretty neat! Checkbook is vibrating just thinking of that.

Bob
Old 01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Bituman
On the other hand, it isn't like Porsche was marketing a pickup! Actually, now that I think about it, that would be pretty neat! Checkbook is vibrating just thinking of that.

Bob
Old 02-01-2008, 11:06 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Yes and yes. Thanks!
Glad it worked out. If you ever get any pics I would love to see what you did. Joe is a unique individual, quite a history.

BTW try a turbo Cayenne. It might surprise you.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 PM
foxford
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing compares to the Cayenne and I mean nothing.
Isn't the Cayenne just a re-badged Volkswagen Toureg?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by foxford
Isn't the Cayenne just a re-badged Volkswagen Toureg?
God no not another.

No the similarities end with the body, unless we are talking about the 1st generation V6's and then I agree Porsche should never have made them. Although the VW V10 TDI is a very nice engine.

Suspension, brakes, most importantly the motor, and just about most everything else of importance are different. Handling characteristics are not close, braking is far superior. No plastic front fenders and to each his own I like the looks of the Cayenne far better myself.

Drive it before you mock it.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:56 AM
JW3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bituman

Bob
Just think an El Camino or Ranchero reincarnated with a 500HP V8 DFI engine barking out through the mirror finished stainless dual tuned exhaust pipes! Oh yeah, all wheel drive with independent suspension on all four corners, 21 inch forged 5 spoke wheels, air shocks, full leather interior, extensive use of carbon fiber, composite bed liner, hydraulic tail gate, V Wing doors and ..........

Quick Reply: A Cayenne editorial; not for its' proponents: