Sponsored by:

O2 sensor-What I have learnt

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor
"The sensor element is a ceramic cylinder plated inside and out with porous platinum electrodes; the whole assembly is protected by a metal gauze. It operates by measuring the difference in oxygen between the exhaust gas and the external air, and generates a voltage or changes its resistance depending on the difference between the two. The sensors only work effectively when heated to approximately 300°C, so most newer lambda probes have heating elements encased in the ceramic to bring the ceramic tip up to temperature quickly when the exhaust is cold. The probe typically has four wires attached to it: two for the lambda output, and two for the heater power, although some automakers use a common ground for the sensor element and heaters, resulting in three wires. Earlier non-electrically-heater sensors had one or two wires"

"It operates by measuring the difference in oxygen between the exhaust gas and the external air,"
Old 01-30-2008, 01:43 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen_sensor
"The sensor element is a ceramic cylinder plated inside and out with porous platinum electrodes; the whole assembly is protected by a metal gauze. It operates by measuring the difference in oxygen between the exhaust gas and the external air, and generates a voltage or changes its resistance depending on the difference between the two. The sensors only work effectively when heated to approximately 300°C, so most newer lambda probes have heating elements encased in the ceramic to bring the ceramic tip up to temperature quickly when the exhaust is cold. The probe typically has four wires attached to it: two for the lambda output, and two for the heater power, although some automakers use a common ground for the sensor element and heaters, resulting in three wires. Earlier non-electrically-heater sensors had one or two wires"

"It operates by measuring the difference in oxygen between the exhaust gas and the external air,"
Right, so there are two sensing elements. One in the exhaust, one outside. That is a still not the same as "sensing O2 through the wires".

Brian
Old 01-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"Right, so there are two sensing elements."
Just one I think . On one side is the the gas being measured and the other side is the reference .
The inside side of the O2 sensor is open to the out side air . The outside side of the O2 sensor is in the exhaust stream .
In the past the vent for the inside of the O2 sensor was near the sensor , it was exposed to everything kicked up by the tires . Now the vent to the inside of the O2 sensor is via the wires . The end of the wires are protected inside the engine tin work , hopefully a cleaner / drier place that will keep the inside of the O2 sensor from "seeing" much contamination .

Anybody have an old dead O2 sensor ?
I'd now like to disassemble one .
Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Interesting stuff, Indycam.

I would surely like to know how the sensor vents through the wires.

Brian
Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

If all it takes is a pin hole ...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple of points-correct me if I am wrong

The difference between the Porsche sensor and the universal sensor is the Porsche sensor comes with the plug connected. No splicing required but it cost about double the price. Also for me the Porsche sensor was ex Germany.
My sensor comes with 3 wires - 2 white (the heating element) and 1 black (the sensor). It does not matter what way the white wires go but black must go to black on the plug. Even I got this correct
Old 01-30-2008, 09:22 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 964russ
I have no o2 sensor, and mines ok!
How does the ECU deal with having no O2 ?

I would think the engine would be in full rich mode ?
Old 02-17-2008, 04:50 PM
krisedwards
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An oxygen sensor is a comparitive device. It compairs the concentration of oxygen in the exhaust to the concentration of oxygen in the ambient air. It needs two sources of Oxygen. One is the measurement which is taken from the exhaust, and the other is "reference air", which in the case of a Bosch sensor, is taken from the spaces between the wire strands.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

This topic left me curious enough to do a search.

Some oxygen sensors use the wiring (actually sheet on wiring) as a channel for reference oxygen. If you cut off the connector, solder and shrink-wrap, you may be blocking reference oxygen.
You should never solder a O2 sensor wire because the sensor "will breathe" through the cable. The acceptable method of splicing or repairing O2 wiring is with crimp connectors. This information was from Bosch Technical Staff in Europe. Here is the technical description of why you do not solder the connections on the O2 sensor side of the updated wiring.

The outside of the bulb is exposed to the hot gases in the exhaust while the inside of the bulb is vented internally through the sensor body to the outside atmosphere. Older style oxygen sensors actually have a small hole in the body shell so air can enter the sensor, but newer style O2 sensors "breathe" through their wire connectors insulation and have no vent hole.

It's hard to believe, but the tiny amount of space between the insulation/wire and through wire insulation provides enough air to seep into the sensor (for this reason, grease should never be used on O2 sensor leads/connectors because it can block the flow of air). Venting the sensor through the wires rather than with a hole in the body reduces the risk of dirt or water contamination that could foul the sensor from the inside and cause it to eventually fail.
I had never heard this before. So I guess you learn something new every day.

Kirk
Old 02-20-2008, 05:08 AM
f@tboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's interesting that the O2 content of ambient air varies enough to require measurement.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor-What I have learnt