Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Smell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:05 AM
duktail
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 62 Posts

I am so glad I found this thread. I have a 1990 C4 that I just put a lwf (RS complete kit) and it smells like dead fish or a dead animal when I drive the car normally. I have to keep rpms under 1500 to keep smell from happening. It seams to be getting a little better, but have to take great care to prevent smell. It comes in from heating vents. I wonder how it can? Does it come in through heat exchangers and then up into cabin?
I hope that it is more of function of newer clutch. Really love to flywheel and clutch though.

Eric
Old 01-23-2008, 12:51 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like you're in decent company here... Yes, it still is a mystery to me how the smell gets from the clutch assembly to the interior cabin so rapidly... At least we can take comfort in that we'd likely smell any other untoward smells right away... an olfactory safety system...
Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
I had a couple of smelly-clutch events when I first got the car and did not have a good feel for the clutch action. I recall it smelled very expensive, and I have learned to drive without overheating the clutch.
Same here after just getting the car. A combination of not being used to the bite point and apprehensive about the car taking off at warp speed meant I was slipping the clutch. It was purely down to me and nothing to do with the clutch being on its way out.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:19 PM
JDD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone noticed that this is happens only when it is fairly cold outside?
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

If you slip the clutch and it makes an odor, that smell will be picked up by the engine fan and then pushed into the passenger cabin by the heater.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
JDD
Instructor

My clutch has about 4000 miles on it. Before winter it was nearly impossible to slip without REALLY trying and it didn't smell at all. Now it smells almost every time I pull away from a light... Any similiar experiences?
Old 12-11-2009, 03:38 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

I think its related to heater usage in the cabin. If you're drawing hot air it will involve some of the air affected by the clutch.

As to a rodent smell, (noted above) rodents do get past the fan and build nests, if the car sits even for a few hours. I've had it happen in a Honda where mice built a nest in one night. ew.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My C4 has around 20k on the clutch. I only smell it when I let it slip too much under full power, or when I am trying to get the car up on some ramps.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by tbennett017
As to a rodent smell, (noted above) rodents do get past the fan and build nests, if the car sits even for a few hours. I've had it happen in a Honda where mice built a nest in one night. ew.
Gotta a great fix for that: Cats.

That has permanently fixed a serious pre-existing rodent problem.

Cats are better company than rodents, too.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:37 AM
ABQ Slim
Instructor

I've noticed it when it is cold, and running the heater. The smell in my car, with RS clutch and flywheel, is like I had asparagus for lunch a couple of hours ago, and just had to pee. I'd never smelled it before without the heater on, and it just happens at standing starts when the car is still cold.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:19 AM
mada1
Racer

Originally Posted by dougn
yup mine smells after install of LWF and new clutch disk. it happens when i slip it on start from a dead stop but it doesn't seem to take really excessive clutch heat or slippage. i think it may be due to the clutch material that looked almost like a graphite composite material
+1
Old 11-25-2010, 04:09 PM
Dominique964
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JDD
My clutch has about 4000 miles on it. Before winter it was nearly impossible to slip without REALLY trying and it didn't smell at all. Now it smells almost every time I pull away from a light... Any similiar experiences?
I have the same experience lately; I could never smell the clutch but since it has become colder I can when pulling (gently) from a standing start. It's most noticable when the engine is cold as I have to give some more throttle to prevent stalling. BTW: I also have the LWF and a new clutch since April this year (12000 km since then).

Quick Reply: Clutch Smell?