Sponsored by:

strange lean condition

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE

I changed the knock sensor bridges and all hardware on both sides of the engine. While I had everything apart I found a small vacuum leak at the fuel pressure regulator. I cleaned all the DME connections carefully.

I took the car out. It immediately felt more 'peppy'. I warmed the car and did one heavy throttle blast... no ping.

Since it's dark and getting late I came back to the garage. So what I plan to do now is re-due my timing tests, AFR test, etc and compare to old recorded data. The car seems to be running better and is more responsive. I 'may' (may...) have been in limp mode prior to this.

I will keep everyone posted. I am not going to declare victory until I know for certain. But she is running pretty darn strong. :-D
Old 11-18-2008, 10:23 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

So today I got to drive the car more. I didn't get the hammer or piggyback to laptop going today, just drove. The throttle response is totally different. It seems like the car is more fluid. I couldn't get the car to ping.

I am going to do the data recording this weekend. Then it will be off to the dyno with John when I can get that scheduled. I think there were a couple issues. A vacuum leak at the fuel pressure regulator coupled with something with the knock sensor bridges or the bridge hardware.

The car runs totally different and I am just on a default code now. With some tuning I think there will be some good numbers to post here. I am not saying its fixed until the data and the dyno say so too. But I am a lot happier about the car then I've been in the past.

This has been a long journey. I've learned a lot. I hope that for good or bad others can learn from what I have done wrong and right. If I could do this all over I would have done a lot of things differently.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Sire
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey,

That's good to read, i'm really happy for you. I wish you good luck and dyno at john's place.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

thanks. it has been a long road to this point for certain.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

had a little run this evening with the former president of the PCA region here. he'd driven the car prior to my replacing the knock sensor bars. we both agreed, running amazing now. I can't get the smile off my face. the throttle is my friend again!

Quick Reply: strange lean condition