Long overdue intro; with pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 02:42 PM
mpeters951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long overdue intro; with pic

Fellow RLM's,

Been lurking and learning here @ RennList across 4 different track modded 951's, now '90 C2 with a laundry list of enhancements. Now understanding and fully appreciating the traditional air-cooled 911 addiction.

Wonderful informative site - always entertaining, insightful and........well you know as well as I do. Unvarnished editorial in an age of hyper correctness greatly appreciated.

Anyway the car specifics are:

50k miles
Ruf/H&R turbo suspension
Work Wheels w/ RA1 or Advan Neova
Full Dansk aft of cat; meaning no silencing
Chipped and K&N'd
Momo Monte Carlo
RennLine floors
Recaro Pole Position seats w/Ruf houndstooth inserts and Schroth belts

And a ton of other things I'm forgetting in my advanced age and mental decline.

Still searching for more weight loss while considering RS cards and carpets, Dansk bypass, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by mpeters951; 03-29-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

nice looking !
Old 01-07-2008, 02:53 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking good, only the flags to go....

Kevin
Old 01-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Welcome, and keep the flags!

Doc
Old 01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice looking car. Nice list of mods too. Flags could be next....
Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Interior?

Nicely gorgeous. And, welcome!

Please, please, please show us the hound's tooth Recaros!

-Lonnie
Old 01-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice - and welcome.

Marc
Old 01-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome...and a very nice color choice
Old 01-08-2008, 02:29 AM
jneteler
Racer

Very nice. Love the wheels, they enhance the overall appearance IMHO.

JNeteler
Old 01-08-2008, 08:17 AM
mpeters951
Racer

Default Recaro PP's w/ houndstooth:

Here's the Recaro's w/ houndstooth. Now before anyone carps on me around the deteriorated floor padding in the footwell - that (heavy) crap is long gone and tossed - replaced w/ the RennLine aluminum floors; a great bit of kit.

And the story on the houndstooth fabric goes like this: contacted Ruf Dallas inquiring around buying the fabric material as I've an allergy to Ruf pricing generally and already had the Pole Positions. Well, what a surprise, they effectively said to go fish.

Categorically undeterred and with a bit of web diligence it turns out that the material Ruf uses is indistinguishable from that used by GM as an OE option for '69 Camaro's. A further bit of surfing led me to a shop in Oregon that specializes in Camaro interior resto work. Absolutely wonderful folks. Did they have the fabric ? - no worries mate. They sent out a few sample swatches straight away, I chose the correct match and a few days later I was off to a re-upholsterer that the wife used to great effect burning through money re-decorating the house. So I had her make a new foam set using the exsiting pieces as a pattern and now I have both the original black Recaro pads and the new "~Ruf" pads.

Local Porsche lads absolutely drool over the seats.

Last edited by mpeters951; 03-29-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I like the seats!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Great looking car!! Any chance of making couple of sets of the houndstooth fabrics for a possible GB? I have a pair of SPG seats and the PP inserts that you have looks similar in dimensions.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:02 AM
mpeters951
Racer

GB on the fabric ? I would rather point you to the Camaro resto shop I'd done business with. The price on the material was very attractive. That shop sold me ~ 3 or 4 yards that as it turned out was just the right amount to cover the new custom made foam pads. I do believe, but can't confirm, that the inserts for PP and SPG are identical. Recaro USA is local to me and they had been very helpful in answering a number of PP Q's I'd had in advance of purchase; it seems likely that they could quickly ID any dimension differences in the inserts.

Bear in mind that my upholsterer reached out to a specialty company to do the custom foam cutting work. I don't really know how the foam cutting is done but the results were perfect; they are indistinguishable from the original recaro foam except in color. Also the feel of the foam is just right - exactly like the Recaro supplied material. As it should be in that both the fabric and foam were to automotive use "spec".

All up I think that replicating what I've done for the PP's can very efficiently be done for your SPG's. The fabric most certainly can be had and subsequent cut and sew work can be found, I suppose, just about anywhere. If you want to reach out to the company that did this for me, say the word and I'll let you know contact details. It may be helpul if you refernce the work that they'd done for me as it was most assuredly a unique "one-off" request, that they'll recall. They are/were a delightful husband and wife team from Poland - very good people (the business owners) and a pleasure to do business with. They were originally recommended to my wife through a decorator she's had a long relationship with. I'm really glad that I found these folks; and was only too happy to give them additional business. The furniture "re-skin" they did for the wife is flawless.

If you like I'll reach out to the upholsterer and find my invoices and let you know what the entire job was worth. Just let me know and I'll get you as much detail as I have.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Post muchos gracias!

Originally Posted by mpeters951
Here's the Recaro's w/ houndstooth. Now before anyone carps on me around the deteriorated floor padding in the footwell...
'Carping'? Who's carping?!
I'm a sucker for retro-modern-classic taste... and your Recaros are nicely, 'seamlessly' outfitted. Well done!

Also, thanks for the backstory of houndstooth procurement.
Alternate, equivalent supply routes are a joy to uncover... especially when they knock a zero or two off the bill.
Camaro? -- who'dathunk it?
(I think you just gave a bunch of people hereabouts a little mental factoid that'll be tucked away for consideration in some future mods...)

Again, nice job.
-Lonnie
Old 01-09-2008, 05:25 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Love those dogtooth inserts. I wasn't even aware that they were an RUF thing. Very 1950's/60's retro. It has now made me start dreaming about similar inserts on my red sport seats...something else to add to the list.

Quick Reply: Long overdue intro; with pic