Sponsored by:

OTC Stud Remover

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OTC Stud Remover

Does anyone know how to use them? I am trying to figure out for removing 8mm studs, however they came with no instructions and cannot figure them out.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

It would help if I knew there was a difference between 8mm studs and M8 studs. Is 5/16" the same as M8? From the best I can tell from searches on the web, they are basically the same.

I have a lot to learn.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duck, I have always thought that the M8 (Metric 8mm) studs is 8mm stud?. The M8 (8mm) OTC socket that you have should goes over the studs and using your 1/2" rachet driver, you should be able to loosen the studs in the same manner as you would loosen a nut. If you are using heat, it helps to have an extra pair of hands to heat the heads while you put a little pressure on the stud. As soon as the loctite melts and you feel the resistance change, you can put more force on the studs and loosen it.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Duck
Burning Brakes

I am not sure if anything is wrong with the 8mm stud remover that I have, however I cannot get it to lock on the exhaust stud. I have taken a removed stud (and the new ones I just got in) and done everything I can think of to get it to lock on the stud, however there is too much space as if the 8mm stud remover is too large (the stud spins loosely in all angles). I tried to put the stud in the 6mm one and it is too tight but not by a whole lot. I have sent an email to OTC about instructions, however the tools look fairly straight forward. The 8mm tool just seems too big unless I am missing something.

I have started the use of WD40 and hitting the studs with a hammer to start loosening them up. I have tried by vice grips, however there is not enough room to lock down and turn them. I am sure I will come up with something, it is like solving a puzzle.

Quick Reply: OTC Stud Remover