Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning a Dirty Blower Motor, or rather how to the proper way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 05:36 PM
jsham
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning a Dirty Blower Motor, or rather how to the proper way?

I just purchased a used Blower Motor for my 964 (no heat) and when it came, it was/is really dirty. I would like to clean it before replacing it, any thoughts on how to do this with harming it, what to use, what no to, etc.
Thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 06:12 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Take the squirrel cage off and run it in the dish washer. If you want to keep it together, hang the fan with the shaft pointing down, and spray the squirrel cage with chandelier cleaner. Wipe the motor down with a moist rag. Remember it is 16 years old, and won't be perfect.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:41 PM
jsham
Instructor

Default Sorry?

Springer3
chandelier cleaner? Sorry not to make myself sound stupid, but I have no idea what chandelier cleaner is, can you throw me a bone? I have all kinds of house hold and car/motorsports cleaners, what about Simple Green?
Thanks for helping, I have to get this into the car today, it cold here in Utah, 14 degrees today.
Cheers
Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Chandelier cleaner is for cleaning the glass crystals that hang from expensive lights. It is designed to spray on and drip off taking away the grunge - no scrubbing needed. It leaves a dazzling surface on crystal, and does a pretty good job on anything that gets dirty from stuff in the air. Kroger sells it near my home. I have never tried Simple Green.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:50 AM
jsham
Instructor

Default Again, Thanks

Thanks, I will go to the store in the morning. I found out the the rubber piece of the tubing that comes off of the blower that connects to the fan is really cracked, so I need to find that piece also, I didn't see that I needed to replace it when I was in there unplugging the old blower while it was running (grinding, sounding terrible) so If I can find one from the list, I'll grab it, If not Monday call Pelican.
Again thanks and happy holidays!

Quick Reply: Cleaning a Dirty Blower Motor, or rather how to the proper way?