Sponsored by:

Cat Heat Shields?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:12 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cat Heat Shields?

I am in the process of removing my catalytic converter. Every bolt that attaches the heat shields to the cat just turns and turns. I am not taking off all the shields, just the one to access the bolts that hold the cat to the heat exchangers.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future? It appears that the clips that the bolts use to anchor the shields to the cat are not very long lasting.

Thanks,
Duck
Old 12-07-2007, 07:18 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

The bolts around my heat shields still turn fine. A little nickel anti-seize (NAPA, no affiliation) seems to do the trick. Also avoiding excessive tightening.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Springer, I have used the copper anti seize dope on axle nuts and such, is the nickel better for hot stuff like the exhaust, or does it matter?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Strega(UK)
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck
I am in the process of removing my catalytic converter. Every bolt that attaches the heat shields to the cat just turns and turns. I am not taking off all the shields, just the one to access the bolts that hold the cat to the heat exchangers.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening in the future? It appears that the clips that the bolts use to anchor the shields to the cat are not very long lasting.

Thanks,
Duck
You could try replacing all the fasteners with stainless steel items and coat the lot in copper grease. I think you might be horrified if you ask Porsche how much the little clips are!!
A friend of mine replaced all his for new genuine items and the bill came to just over £60 ( $120 ) and that was just the ones around the cat!!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:01 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterRisky
Springer, I have used the copper anti seize dope on axle nuts and such, is the nickel better for hot stuff like the exhaust, or does it matter?
Don't know. I use LubroMoly copper paste. I like the NAPA nickel paste better because it is easier to use (not as thick), but I think both work fine. I'll post if I can find any performance difference literature.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced all mine with stainless and lots of copper anti-seize. Seemed to work well.

Marc

Quick Reply: Cat Heat Shields?