B & B Headers and exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 01:30 PM
dbibeau
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B & B Headers and exhaust...

Folks,
My '91 C4 is in the shop for a reseal. My mechanic was discussing things that I should/can think about doing while the engine is out. The clutch will be done (not convinced about the LWFW yet). My mechanic also suggested the B & B Header and exhaust combo. No cat but that will not be an issue for inspection. Has anyone had any experience with the B & B setup? In particular I was wondering about the sound and performance.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

I've got it on mine. Originally ordered it with the heat exchanger boxes, but have since removed them since the car is now just for the track. I got mine 10 years ago and it's been great. The muffler cracked, but I sent it back to them and for a reasonable charge, they gave me back a seemingly new and improved muffler. I've found their customer service quite impressive. Back when my car was used mainly for the street, the muffler had a weird resonance at about 3500 rpm. Just 3500, at 3600, it disappeared.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbibeau
My mechanic was discussing things that I should/can think about doing while the engine is out.
The exhaust parts are easily accessed whether the engine is in or out. I'd lean towards valve adjustment, new spark plugs, leakdown test, clutch replacement ...

Do you race your car? I'm wondering why your mechanic would suggest headers? That's certaily not a cheap swap ($2K in parts).
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I have B&B headers on my turbo and have had them on other cars. In general they suck. Fit is just OK and I have had issues with my #3 seal leaking because the headers were not made correctly. I had a B&B muffler on my SC and had to weld it about 10 times, constantly breaking. With that said the performance upgrade is good and other than custom made they are about the best headers you can get. I have never liked the drown of the muffler myself.

I would recommend the LWF over the B&B's and just go with a RMB (G pipe) and cup air box for sound instead. You can always switch headers easily yourself but the clutch takes a bit more work and since you have it apart, now is the time.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:18 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the two posts above that headers/exhaust can be done at any time with the engine in place. No need to get in a rush because the engine is out. I just made the same call on my car. My engine is out for a rebuild and I briefly considered headers, but opted to wait a while and spend the money inside the engine instead since I only plan to be in there once.

+1 on the LWF over the headers also.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

B&B don't have a good reputation around here.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:01 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

LWFW and sound (g-pipe, cat bypass etc.) and suspension are the best.
Problems here with B&B headers too.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:27 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

They don't fit worth sheeeet. My techs hate the stuff. Buy FABSPEED.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:50 PM
dbibeau
Advanced

Thanks for all the input. You guys are great. I am going to pass on the header exhaust idea for now. I think that I will go with the LWF and as far as exhaust goes I'll go to the G-pipe. The car already has coilovers and I am really happy with the ride. I do not race the car but my mechanic knows I enjoy mods and we were discussing progress on the car today and I asked him what mods he likes for the 964. Appreciate all the inputs

Quick Reply: B & B Headers and exhaust...